Looking for Information on this Bali

Howzit, people? I'm new to the forums, and although I've always liked balisongs I'm still a newbie. I have a BM43 on order that was going to be my first bali (I wish that damned thing would get here already), but yesterday I acquired an old bali from a friend. I posted a pic at this address http://www.flex.com/~buddha/balisong.html (sorry, don't know how to post pics here). I'm looking for any kind of info on it. I know the pic sucks, but on one side it has the bali-song/butterfly logo with "INTERNATIONAL SERIES" written under it, while on the other side of the blade has ©1985 PACIFIC CUTLERY CORP. JAPAN. It has black plastic resin inserts, but I'm not sure what the blade/handle material is. I'd appreciate any kind of info on it. Thanks.

-ZENGHOST

Balisong.jpg

Looks to be a PC. I'm a newbie as well. But that seems to me to be an older bali. Keep it in good condition.

That's a model 158 if I'm not mistaken. The handles are die cast zamak with plastic inserts. Like to say the blade was 440c, but not 100% sure.

to post pictures do this
[~img]http://www.flex.com/~buddha/pictures/Balisong.jpg[/img]

without the little ~ i had to add that so that the code would show.

Balisong.jpg

I don't know what model it is, but it looks like my BM 259. It's a Pacific Cutlery international model, probly came out much before my BM 259. Stainless Steel handles, very heavy. I'm probly not completely correct, but others will be.

Edited to add:
Funny, I try to help a guy out and 5 other people beat me to the post while I was typing. :D

hehe...to slow...i type without looking

take good care of that one...and if you do manage to break the handles then it would make a great project for Mer

Originally posted by tonyccw
That's a model 158 if I'm not mistaken. The handles are die cast zamak with plastic inserts. Like to say the blade was 440c, but not 100% sure.

My first impression was 440c as well, although I'm not familiar with "zamak," what type of material is that?

The knife actually isn't in the greatest of condition. Someone did a real bad sharpening job on it and so the edge is in need of some work and one side of the blade has a lot of heavy scratches on it. And since it was sitting in my friend's drawer for the last fifteen some odd years, it has a few rust spots on it. Any recommendations for preserving/maintaining it, or maybe a way to fix it up a little? Mykl--you mentioned someone named Mer?

-ZENGHOST

ps...you guys are on it, thanks for the quick response and the warm welcome.

Yes, welcome!

Zamak is just some cheap die cast pot steal, from what I know.

Mer - aka. Eric Maier does custom re-handle jobs for ya! Take a look at his site, there's some really nice handles there.

I checked out Mer's site and was very impressed with his work. My only question is, is my knife valuable/collectible as it is? I wouldn't want to change anything if it is (even though I'm dying to hand it over to Mer for a little customization).

well I don't know a whole lot about older balis so I can't really tell you much, but if it already has some major problems with the handles it probably isn't that collectable. Don't quote me on that...would I send it off? In an instant.

Zenghost: It is a collectible in that they are irreplacible as they are no longer made. Still, in dollar amounts, I picked up several similar bali's recently in much better condition for around $100 each. Hope that helps.

just ask yourself would I rather be able to flip it and use it to death or leave it sitting in a box somewhere hoping it'll be worth some real cash someday.

Being a user, not a collector, I would send it to Mer. Think of it this way. You would have a semi-custom for not much money. But its your knife. Its up to you.

Thanks, guys...appreciate your input. I haven't made my decision yet (and probably won't for a while), but what you said helped.

-ZENGHOST

Hey ZENGHOST,

I traded one just like that to Mer for $100 credit on the work he's doing for me..
It was in damn near perfect condition..
He's going to re-do it and finally have a Mer re-handle for himself..

He's been so busy doing everyone elses, he never got a set made for himself...:(

Back