Looking for input on a wharncliffe folder from (Lum or Anso)

Aloha,

I'm in the mood for a new EDC knife. I've been carrying Joel Chamblins wharncliffe tactical style folder for about 8 years. Great knife.

But, I'd like to try some others. Wharncliffe is my preferred blade shape. About 3" is the max blade length I want.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about one of these?

Bob Lum's pen knife.
http://www.boblumknives.com/images/folder12.jpg

Jens Anso Revolution:
http://www.ansoknives.com/

Also, is Tom Mayo still taking orders? I thought I saw on his website a while back that he stopped taking orders. I'd like to get one of his small T&T wharncliffes.

The only other knife that has caught my fancy is Kansei's innovative designs. However, I heard that the thumb stud placement makes it harder for larger hands. Not sure how much of an issue this is.
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kansei/knives/NewFiles/home.html

Thanks,
Dave

I hear word around the campfire that Lum knives are shooting through the roof on the aftermarket. He makes a fine folder.

Tom is taking orders, last I knew, you can always e-mail him and ask. I am a big fan of the TNT design. They are fabulous knives, and priced very reasonably.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I am a fan of both Mr. Mayo and Mr. Anso!! I don't know much about Mr. Lum's knives. I LOVE Mayo and Anso knives!!! I got to handle Jens Anso knives at Blade, and all I can say is WOW!! I can not wait until I CAN own on of his amazing knives!!

I heard back from Tom Mayo and Bob Lum.

Tom is not taking orders now.

Bob's wait is 2 to 3 years.

Although Jens I didn't hear back directly from Jens, his web site says his wait is about 10 months.

I'll place an order with Jens and have asked to be put on Bob's wait list.

How about that Kensai guy? He does have some sweet designs.

Aloha,
Dave

I perfer the Two Bladed Folder version of Bob's Pen Knife. Very slim profile using the same liner lock for both blades.

Big Dave said:
How about that Kensai guy? He does have some sweet designs.

Aloha,
Dave

Makes very affordable, high quality knives, but I have handled very few, so it is difficult to say.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. I've really been intrigued by Jens' knives. I'm really thinking a Wharncliffe stye with the orange handle for hiking.

I constantly curse myself for missing out on TNT Wharncliffes when they pop up.

I do have a couple of Lums on order, a Wharncliffe due soon!

Win

I appreciate the thoughts.

Flava I tried to private mail you but it would not let me. So, I sent you an email.

Win you have a sweet collection.

Thanks again,
Dave

Kansei generally has excellent fit and finish. However, I have a couple of cautionary notes - I have had two brand new Kansei folders come from dealers where the liner literally would not engage due to poor adjustment by Kansei (or, someone had fiddled with them after they left is shop). I returned both knives. Also, on a particuarly beautiful coral and damascus interframe job, the line between polished titanium and "hazed" titanium was very poor and certainly did not look either good or intentional.

Lum makes a nice folder, more of a cutter than Tom's little wharncliffes due to blade thickness and grind IMO. I have both.

If you are looking for a bigger handle, get a Boguszewski Mini Pirhana. To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't made one yet, but I have two on order with Phil and we have discussed the idea.

tonyccw said:
I perfer the Two Bladed Folder version of Bob's Pen Knife. Very slim profile using the same liner lock for both blades.

As usual, I happen to agree with Tony...and here is what he is talking about (NFS!)

2012.JPG

2010.JPG

Not too long ago,Steel Addiction had one of those Lum Pen Knives on the site in the morning.Thought about it for a few hours,went back to look,GONE,like a figment of my imagination!
Jon,that 2 blade version,is 2 much!!! Real sweet knife,someday..........

I have a lot of respect for Bob's designs and craftsmanship. I like Jens designs a workmanship as well. Both are gentlemen and make a fine unique product. I don't believe you will be disappointed in either choice...Take Care...Ed

I have the first Max Revolution ever, and I can tell you it's a work horse!
fit and finish are impecable too.

Jens is AWESOME to deal with too.

Back