Looking for Knife Steel Assessments

Does anyone know where to find useful assessments of available blade steels? That is, how they perform in the application of knives e.g edge holding, machine-ability, toughness, corrosion resistance,cost, availability in useful sizes and quantities, etc.. I am particularly interested in any work on so called 'super steels' such as VascoMax, A7, A11 and less used steels such as L6 etc.. As I don't forge, characteristics such as ductility are not critical to me.

I suspect that no one reference exists, but thought I would ask. Perhaps a Forum column dedicated to "steels" and makers experiences with them would be of interest to others as well as me?

i dunno about an online, direct or cheaper reference, but "machinery's handbook" is pretty much "the bible" of metalworking...if it's about steel, it's in there...although not specifically about knives...

Thanks Mark. You are right about the Machinist Handbook. It's certainly one of the most available references, but you can't always tell what kind of knife you will have..good or great. I guess heat treating is perhaps being the most important aspect. So with so many makers out there looking for the "ultimate" blade (whatever that is), I was just thinking (hoping) that ABS or ??? might be tracking results in this area. Things such as (...the edge lasted forever, but once dulled, needed NASA to sharpen it!)

Mike..great site! Thanks for sharing. Good info.and links.

Dave, what your asking for is impossible.Knife steels are subjective at best.All present steels used have pro's and con's.There is no ultimate steel.Also the type of knife will play into the equation.Your better off trying several types to see how you like working them or how you will heattreat them.Every maker goes thru this, trying to find a good steel,but experience is gold here.
There is no substitute for good heattreating.Dave:)

Back