Looking for Long Mill End Bits for Hidden Tangs

Hey All

I'm starting to loose patience drilling out wood for hidden tang knives.

I have a King KC20-VS-2 Milling Machine that I absolutely love to use, but I don't have any 1/8, 5/32 or 1/4 size mill bits that are long enough to allow me to mill out the roughly 5" slot for my hidden tangs.

Does anyone know where I can get 1/8", 5/32" or 1/4" milling bits that have an overall length of 5", 6" or even 7"?

Thanks All!

It would make it frustrating and expensive because they would break all the time.

You want a pull broach. A hidden tang only takes 15 minutes to hollow out with a good broach in most woods.

Just use extended length (7") drill bits. Keep them sharp and it makes quick work.

When doing a through tang drill from both ends and meet in the middle.

As Nathan said, a good broach will make a round hole into a slot in a short time.

Got so much push off in those sizes in little stubby end mills, kuraki is spot on.

I can’t imagine tying to us an “EndMill” (<- that’s it’s proper name) that long is a manual machine. I would probably slit my wrists with the snapped off shank. I have used crazy long end mills in cnc but usually for plunge milling. You could just do a “burn in” like all the forged in fire guys that fail lol.

I use a long 1/4” drill and get a hole started and then use a drag broach and pull it out. Does not take long with the proper tooling. Other option is the split the handle and mill out each half.

I can’t imagine tying to us an “EndMill” (<- that’s it’s proper name) that long is a manual machine. I would probably slit my wrists with the snapped off shank. I have used crazy long end mills in cnc but usually for plunge milling. You could just do a “burn in” like all the forged in fire guys that fail lol.

I use a long 1/4” drill and get a hole started and then use a drag broach and pull it out. Does not take long with the proper tooling. Other option is the split the handle and mill out each half.

I tried a "burn in" about 3 years ago and I'm still choking on the smoke. I think if I'd kept at it, I would just now be getting through it 3 years later. :)

I have somewhere TiN coated long drill bits for wood which can work on side .I don t know how you call it in USA , it s like regular drill bits but have some serration on spiral which allow cutting in wood on side .......

5 inch is a long tang for not going all the way through a handle (in that case drill from both ends) best tip i can give you is to use the shorter endmill to get you a nice clean straight starter hole then peck away with the drill bit to length. after you get a few holes drilled into your slot i just use the drill bit and light side loadign to clean the webbing out

Back