Looking for profile advice

weo

Hello all. I've had an idea for a pattern welded design in my head for a while now, and here's my first go at it. While it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I think it has potential for a decent petty (currently. the blade length is 6 1/2").

So which profile do you think looks best with the pattern? (Feel free to offer other profile options if you want)

The colors are reversed on the spine with the spine 15N20 and the middle band is O1, so the top will be silver, the middle band black with the layers on the bottom. And #3 is the current shape of the blade as forged.rough ground.

Thanks for your opinions.

Personally I don’t think the pattern should have any impact on the profile

The profile should be made to what works on a cutting board.

I would say 4
And I’m assuming you would want to sweep the grind up higher towards the tip

Personally I don’t think the pattern should have any impact on the profile
Hi Harbeer. In general, I'd agree. But the pattern I'm going for is to see the horizon over some water and for that all three layers should both center and taper towards the tip to give the impression that you are looking off into the horizon. But that's not going to happen with this piece anymore. Also, one thing that doesn't sit well with me aesthetically is when you can see that a knife was cut out of a damascus blank rather than forged. But I know that plenty others don't have that which is why I'm throwing that out there, to see if there is a majority opinion here.

I'm no expert but I go #4 as well. If it were me I might start the curve at the halfway point or so. Just a little bit fading into your final curve instead of completely flat and then a radius curve. That's just me and my opinion probably isn't worth much :).

Three different edge profiles but all more pointy

Hope this helps

WhfWsiz.jpg

Thanks for the clarifications Hoss and Harbeer! I'll post pics when finished.

So here's the picture of where it ended up.
1HPh4J7.jpg

I'm not sure (although I have a guess) what happened. Out of the quench the blade was straight but the tang had bent off to the left about 3 degrees. I clamped it in my straightening-during-temper jig without problems, and into the oven set at 400F. About 5 minutes into the tempering, I heard a 'tink', my mood sank a bit:mad::confused::(, I opened the door and found the above, a small paring knife or EDC waiting to be born...

Last edited:
OK, "you have two hours to fix any flaws, and put a handle on it ready for testing in the BONE CHOP".
(sorry, watching too much FIF)

Back