Recommendation? looking for some help on a matter.

Evan Wilson

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
a few questions and a what I am looking to try and understand This was the best place I thought the question/s to fit might be slightly off topic from the usual question.

what is the general legal definition of a knife and is a blunt knife/blade still considered a knife?
I understand that each state may define things differently just looking for the general consensus.

I have a micheals makerplace shop and recently I received an email stating that one of my listings was deactivated the knife in question is a meteorite damascus knife in an unsharpened state a collaboration knife made by myself and most of the finish work done by Carlin bear of ERCknives the knife was listed under the under the hunting and camping category and as far as I understand the terms and conditions as well as the prohibited items policy it should otherwise be allowed,could you guys take a look?

https://www.michaels.com/makerplace/support-center?subid=219105904824156163

the parts in question of the prohibited items policy and a link above for the full list.

Axes and machetes marketed as weapons that are not purely ornament and are not designed for home improvement, hunting, camping, or other similar recreational use
"in other words hunting and camping knives are allowed so long as not sold or marketed as a weapon meant to cause harm"

Balisong, butterfly, gravity, automatic, out the front, paratrooper, push dagger, switchblade (and replica/imitation switchblades), stiletto, shobi-zue or slasher knives, boot knives or any knives that are hidden or disguised
"The knife in question does not appear to fit any of the ones listed above and is not designed to be concealed"

this may be the cause as gemsbok was used for the handle the piece was sourced through Jantz knife supply and there should not be any ethical concerns as I see it due to how they source their horn to sell.
Animal organs or animal corpses that contain organs
● Alaskan Native items with anything from a bear
● Bear traps, steel jaw leg-hold traps and similar items
● Ivory, manufactured items with more than 5% of actual ivory, bones from animals that produce ivory
● Items made from marine mammals
● Live animals and other wildlife
● Native American items with feather(s) or other parts of protected birds
● Parts or products from endangered or threatened species such as bears, mountain lions, cats, dogs, whales, sharks, dolphins, or porpoises
● Products prohibited from sale under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918

Attachments

• dzrthtrdf.jpeg
    dzrthtrdf.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
Maybe try Etsy instead. Lots of knives of all kinds on Etsy.

The problem is, the owners of an online business can make up any rules they want, and the employees of that business can interpret the rules any way they want, or simply make up their own rules on any given day however they feel like. Perhaps you can file a complaint, or appeal, but in the end it's still going to be their call, and they probably couldn't care less if they lose a vendor, especially if they don't like what you're selling.

Even if the members here could form a consensus regarding what constitutes a "knife", neither Micheals nor any other site is required to agree or accept it. It seems like you'd be better off selling somewhere else.

Maybe try Etsy instead. Lots of knives of all kinds on Etsy.

The problem is, the owners of an online business can make up any rules they want, and the employees of that business can interpret the rules any way they want, or simply make up their own rules on any given day however they feel like. Perhaps you can file a complaint, or appeal, but in the end it's still going to be their call, and they probably couldn't care less if they lose a vendor, especially if they don't like what you're selling.

Even if the members here could form a consensus regarding what constitutes a "knife", neither Micheals nor any other site is required to agree or accept it. It seems like you'd be better off selling somewhere else.
I understand that they can take down and make up what ever rules they please I just want to make sure that how things are written and how I am interpreting them are not in conflict.
I've also had my fair share of issues when dealing with Etsy and have been trying to move away from selling there.
alot mass produced goods floating around and the otherwise unhelpful seller support as well as the way they conduct refunds without any over site using bots allowing fraud to take place and sellers are expected to eat the cost in many cases.

I wasn't aware of the difficulties with Etsy. It looks like all online vendor sites have issue (like ebay).

From what you posted, I don't see where you have violated any of their rules. It looks like a "camping" knife to me, and I don't see any of the prohibited animal products being used in either the knife or the sheath.

I could only speculate why your listing was deactivated. It could be as simple as one individual employee didn't like the look of your knife, or maybe they objected to the use of snakeskin in the sheath. Who knows. It could have been completely arbitrary, it could have been a complete idiot who made the decision.

a huge thanks.
that's kinda what I thought but sometimes its difficult to tell.
hopefully I'll get my own website up and running in the near future.

Back