Looking for suggestions - wear resistant folder with 3 or 4 blades

Hi Folks, I'm looking for a knife with three or four blades, preferably made of a wear resistant stainless steel. I live near the ocean and plain carbon steel rusts in an instant.

I've looked at stockmans and the Boker congress. those are pretty close to what i'm looking for but they don't seem to be available in any of the newer wear resistant steels.

Are there any multi blade folders available in a wear resistant alloy?

Thanks...

You would probably have to go custom for something like this.

Here is something that might interest .
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KB...ed-brushed-stainless-steel-black-nylon-sheath
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2JlcmV0dGEvaW1hZ2VzLzc2NzI2YS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDU0NSwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDI1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

If CPM Cruwear is OK for you (doesn't rust for me with minimal care, and I live close to the ocean, too), try the Boker Hunter Trio or Quadro ? Main blade can be locked.

If you want smaller/SAK size, might want to try the Boker Tech tool, uses Sandvik 12C27; not M390 or S90V, but not bad at all.

(corkscrews are essential for date night :) )

Last edited:
Closest I’ve seen is probably a Lionsteel Bestman 2-blade. M390, slipjoint.

yes, these are definitely the best wear resistant & stainless multi-bladed folders you could find... only 2 blades, but a great choice

there is the kershaw 3 bladed 'brandywine' which uses 7cr17mov - which will easily out perform edge retention on typical multibladed cases & even SAKs
KS4382_1.jpg

Well, there's the Case Tony Bose premium stockman or cattle knife. 154CM steel; not the most wear resistant, but far better than the typical low-lowish end steel you usually see in traditional slipjoints. NOT cheap though. $400-600 probably. The stockman is a biggun, the cattle knife is smaller. Similarly there's the Cold Steel Ranch Boss. Big and heavy, S35VN steel. Not the most wear resistant compared to most modern "supersteels", but better than 154CM and far better than the typical stuff. Rare-ish, and probably won't be cheap. Rough Ryder has a couple new "premium" knives in VG-10, which is a notch below 154CM for wear resistance. You can find old Queen knives in D2. It's not quite stainless, more "semi-stainless", but won't rust up like carbon steel. Fit an finish will be hit-and-miss, and the factory edge will probably be comparable to a butter knife, and it can be a bitch to sharpen, but once you get it sharp it holds the edge impressively.

Keep an eye out for one of the Queen D2 stockmans. Queen did a great job with their D2 and is usually available with beautiful amber carved bone scales. I suck at posting pics here or I'd share mine.

Also a very strong second on the Case Bose collaborations. Having both the large premium stockman and smaller cattle knife I would recommend the premium stockman if you like bigger knives it's roughly the same size as a 6375 but with better blade shapes and 154CM steel.

A dream knife for me would be along the lines of a GEC Dixie stockman but with 20CV steel.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Not sure which direction I'll be going yet. Perhaps a congress model will be enough for a while. Or perhaps a larger stockman, or even better maybe both, lol.

Well, I just got off the phone with Frost cutlery. I asked the sales department which 440 steel is used in the 'steel warrior' series. The lady on the phone said that it is 440c. So I placed an order for a

"Steel Warrior Congress Bone Pocket Knife"

Can't wait to see how it is on fit, finish and edge holding.

edit: Oops, I linked to an ebay item. thought I just got the text ftom it, sorry about that.

Last edited:
I like a two-knife solution: a large locking folder with a modern steel blade and a SAK. That way, you have three blades of different sizes, two different steels, and also a set of tools.

a couple years ago, I bought a Victorinox recruit, and reprofiled the small blade into a wharncliffe. Then, I re-ground and sharpened the can opener so that it could be a third blade, kind of a push-cutting blade.

I liked the Buck 301 recommendation for your original question, though I think it is 420J2 and not their good 420HC.

I think the Frost is going to leave you wanting, in terms of edge retention. Let us know.

Well, I just got off the phone with Frost cutlery. I asked the sales department which 440 steel is used in the 'steel warrior' series. The lady on the phone said that it is 440c. So I placed an order for a Steel Warrior Congress Bone Pocket Knife 118KLJ.

I'm just going to say this about frost cutlery: you get what you pay for.

That's code for they make crappy knives

Boker Solingen makes some knives in 440C. Occasionally they will make a run of stockman knives. But you might need to do some hunting. Not the most modern alloy, but significantly better than 420HC.

Well, I just got off the phone with Frost cutlery. I asked the sales department which 440 steel is used in the 'steel warrior' series. The lady on the phone said that it is 440c. So I placed an order for a

Smaug Smaug is right... send it back and get the Buck 301.

And if you still want that Steel Warrior, let me know... I have 2 of that very model in that very color and I'll send you one for free.

Well that's several votes for the Buck stockman, I'll keep my eyes open for one of those.

Thanks for the offer of a freebie, I'm in Canada which seems to cause lots of shipping troubles so I won't ask you to do that but it's a really nice gesture.

Back