• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

looking to get a supersteel knife made

After using a variety of different steels and different style blades over the years, I've narrowed my idea of a perfect EDC fixed blade and now face the challenge of having it built.

I'm looking at having a 3" full tang blade in a puukko/kwaiken style ground out with my design but have a few questions for the knowledgeable minds over here.

I'm very interested in having it made from a steel that will give me long edge retention first and foremost. I would use it for bushcraft, whittling, cutting open boxes (lots of those at work) and other everyday tasks. I would like it to be in stainless but have had good luck at keeping my D2 and 3V blades corrosion free (Ontario Rat and Koster Bushcraft, respectively).

I love the idea of it being made out of ELMAX or M390. My Scrapmax is great, but a bit thin for some of the woodworking stuff I'd like to do. M390 seems to perform wonderfully on the youtube videos I've watched. 3V would be great even though I wouldn't test the toughness threshold with such a small blade.

Anyway, I'd love some suggestions or thoughts on the steels I've mentioned or others that might be suitable for a small fixed blade that will keep cutting and cutting and cutting. I can sharpen harder steel fine with the equipment I have so that's not too much of a concern.

I'd also like suggestions of makers willing to grind out a full tang blade blank (I can put on my own handle) from my design. Thanks.

With a blade that small I'd definitely stick with the higher edge retention stainless steels you mentioned, I love 3V, but you won't see it's advantages in a small blade like that. I'd say go with Elmax if you want a little more toughness, or M390 if you want a little more edge holding.

You might want to try Big Chris. (Chris Berry) He has done an excellant job on some 3V for me and is in the process of making me another. AA Forge also does an excellant job on his knives.

Back