Loose Pivot Screws on CQC-7B

The pivot screw on my CQC-7B seems to get worked pretty loose after a few openings of the blade. This entails constant tightening. Though annoying, it's a great knife. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping the pivot screw in place?

Thanks,

-- Harry

It must use the same pivot screw the Commander does...Mine did the same thing all the time. I took mine and wrapped it with some teflon tape, its been awhile now and it hasnt moved. Or you could use removable locktite.

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

[This message has been edited by Kdarmy (edited 09 December 1999).]

I'm having same problem with CQC7. I'm sending mine back to Emerson. That should not happen on a $140 knife. That may stop me from buying a Commander also.

Hi friends!

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this pivot screws issue.
I do NOT want anyone to think that i'm critizising anyone, just wanted to share my ideas.
As Mr. Emersons knives are designed to be taken apart for cleaning(at least that my understanding)isn't it possible that they(Emerson knives)didn't use Lok(Lock?)-tite to risk anyone tearing screws??
It's a whole lot easier to disassemble it without sticky thread "glues", when you get it, take it apart a few times to learn how it's constructed and then add Lok-tite as it suits you.
I think that Emerson knives have a good approach in allowing us users to take their knives apart when needed without voiding the warranty.
I don't use Lok-tite on my Commander, i check the pivot screw every once in awhile and have yet to have any problems and i've been carrying my knife since the summer of -98 and i do carry it all the time.(yes, sometimes i have to tighten the screw but so what??)

Just my 0.7 cents!
Take care and be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

------------------
"May all your detonations be expected"

Emerson catalog does say that they use conventional philips and slotted screws for easy disassembly and cleaning. That' s a plus. BUT nowhere does it say explicitly that the owner may do this. Equally, there is no mention that user/ owner disassembly may constitute voiding warrantee. It reads a bit tricky to me. If many users/ owners decide to disassemble their units and screw it up and then send it back to Emerson it could get pretty complicated. I believe I' ve posted this inquiry in the past but have received no response from any source. What are your thoughts? Has anyone taken apart their folders for maintenace purposes? I' d like to hear about it.

L8r,
Nakano

Just put a dab of blue locktite on that screw..... it'll be just fine.. I find that putting about half a drop onto a toothpic and applying to the threads inside the pin itself works best

Good suggestions all around.
I'm think I'm going to try the teflon tape idea (for water resistance?).

BTW, for tightening, I've found my credit cards great for that. Finally, something else I can use those cards for.

Hey Nakano 2!

I have taken my Commander apart several times(15+)no problemo, easy to do and every thing, i have also taken apart more than a few of Benchmade knives when they have become VERY dirty and they are not so easy to put back together(as they are not disigned to be taken apart...)
As i haven't taken apart any other Emerson knives it's hard to give feedback on the other models, i do however have 2 Ravens and 1 CQC-7 on it's way and i can let you know if they were hard to takeapart after i got'em if you like, just let me know!

Take care and be well!/2Sharp aka Jonas

------------------

2Sharp, thanks for sharing. Have you been able to rid of any past liner/ blade rub?

L8r,
Nakano

Hey Nakano 2!

I did get some blade/liner rub, but i have managed to get rid of it!
Last week i discovered something after have been to the gym, i usually donät carry my Commander when doing weight training, a bit too large to carry in training gear, i usually take a smaller/flatter knife and this day it was a BM 975, after i got home i drew my knife and opened it, like trying out a quick draw when tired and sweaty, and then i noticed that the blade had a serious blade/liner rubbing problem which it didn't have just befire i left for training, i checked out the edge just before leaving and then i would have noticed any blade rubbing.

I did notice that the whole knife looked bent...like a banana! and just bent it back with a firm hold, voila! no blade/liner rubbing! it also works on my commander, i'm not suggesting that you bend your knife so the blade doesn't touch the liner but my idea is rather that the knife bends from pocket carrying and this might be the reason to some reports on this rubbing issue!

Please let me hear you ideas on this one!
BTW, i usually don't mind some rubbing on a knife that's a user, it usually looks quite wrecked after a few months of carry anyway...;-)

Take care and be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

------------------

Back