Loose scout carry leather sheat

I recently bought the Real Steel Furrier Skinner as an edc fixed blade.
here is a link to a site with a picture of the kive and sheath
https://www.knivesandtools.de/de/pt...eststehendes-messer-ivan-braginets-design.htm
First of, I was really in love with it but now the knife has fallen out of the sheath multiple times, for example when standing up.
I already treied glueing in felt inserts, but that only bulked it up and it still was just as loose.
Then I ordered some magnets with an advertised strenght of 2kg, but it did not help either. They where just to weak to hold onto the knife true the leather.
I have heard of this problem in some rewiews, but have not found anny fix so far.
I don't know if wett molding is an option with this kind of sheath, so I would really like to hear your suggestions.

It appears to me that because of the very wide blade the sheath mouth must be much wider than the handle making it difficult for it to be tight. Sheath tension on that type design is primarily at the handle. If the leather is veg tanned and it has not been sealed or coated, you might be able to tighten it up some by wet forming but I suspect not a lot, particularly if the leather is relatively thin.

Do to the needed very wide mouth, adding shims will indeed just add bulk without much tightening unless you added a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have a good approach to correcting the fit on that particular sheath. Hopefully someone else on the forum can be of more help.
Randy

It appears to me that because of the very wide blade the sheath mouth must be much wider than the handle making it difficult for it to be tight. Sheath tension on that type design is primarily at the handle. If the leather is veg tanned and it has not been sealed or coated, you might be able to tighten it up some by wet forming but I suspect not a lot, particularly if the leather is relatively thin.

Do to the needed very wide mouth, adding shims will indeed just add bulk without much tightening unless you added a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have a good approach to correcting the fit on that particular sheath. Hopefully someone else on the forum can be of more help.
Randy
First of all thank you verry much
Well, at least I am not the only one looking at this without a good solution ^^
Sune

I agree with Robber 58. If you do try to wet form do it as tight as you can only around the handle. Also, have you thought about adding a retaining strap? Might be your best option. Best of luck.

I agree with Robber 58. If you do try to wet form do it as tight as you can only around the handle. Also, have you thought about adding a retaining strap? Might be your best option. Best of luck.
Well tank you first of all.
I don't think wetmolding is going to be my rout of tightening the sheath, but I thought of attatching a magnut or something simmilar to the sheath and with a short strap to the ring of the knife.

Have someone make you a custom sheath.
Hello eric, is there annyone who you could recomend?
I have seen some makers, but most of the ones that do leather work only seem to do in pocket carry and I have yet to find someone who makes a scout carry sheath.
Sune

There is a list of makers from this forum on the stickies (at the top of the page, in blue). It would help if you would fill out your about info so people know where you're at. I'm going to guess in Germany or nearby since that where the website is from. For someone to do a custom sheath they will need your knife or have access to an identical one so it would be best to find someone local. Also, lots of information here to help you do one yourself.

SuSa131 first Google Sam Browne Stud or Button Stud so you will know what I am talking about. They are avaialable in both screw

on and rivet style insatallation. Install a stud on the upper front of the sheath.

Using a common heavy rubber band through the eye on the handle and then stretch over the stud with both loop ends of the rubber band.

Your knife will be secure and easily deployed thereafter by just flipping the rubber band off the stud. My email is listed below if you have further questions.

SuSa131 first Google Sam Browne Stud or Button Stud so you will know what I am talking about. They are avaialable in both screw

on and rivet style insatallation. Install a stud on the upper front of the sheath.

Using a common heavy rubber band through the eye on the handle and then stretch over the stud with both loop ends of the rubber band.

Your knife will be secure and easily deployed thereafter by just flipping the rubber band off the stud. My email is listed below if you have further questions.
Hey Paul. Good to see ya around!

Back