Los Angeles knife laws

anyone know the specific los angeles laws on carrying a knife? i've searched on this forum but can't find anything and i went to the california state law website but it's too long and confusing. i've heard it's ok to carry any folding knife under 4"? i've also heard it has to be under 3"? any help would be much appreciated. thanks

My understanding is that LA restricts the open carry of any blade over 3 inches.

I interpret that to mean you can legally carry a folding knife longer than 3 inches in LA, but only if it is completely concealed.

I haven't read the actual statutes, so I don't know what the practical limitations are to this odd law. For instance, suppose you need to cut something with your 3+" knife. Are you obligated to keep it concealed while you use it? Is that even possible?

I don't know where the 4 inch reference you mentioned came from.

From the LA Municipal Code:
Title 13 PUBLIC PEACE, MORALS AND WELFARE

Division 8. Weapons (43)

Chapter 13.62 CARRYING KNIVES IN PLAIN VIEW

13.62.010 Knives and daggers defined.

As used in this chapter, the terms "knives and daggers" shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle. (Ord. 11915 § 1, 1979.)

13.62.020 Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger. (Ord. 11915 § 2, 1979.)

13.62.030 Exemptions to chapter applicability.

The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or for the purpose of lawful recreation, or where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice. (Ord. 11915 § 3, 1979.)

13.62.040 Violation -- Penalty.

Any person violating this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not exceeding $500.00 or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a period not exceeding six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 11915 § 4, 1979.)
I would guess that if you take the knife out to use it that would be considered "in plain view." Carry a small knife to use in public. And a few large ones just in case ;)

Find other California city municipal codes here: http://www.findlaw.com/california/ca01_codes/municode.html

thanks a lot, although i'm still kinda confused on this topic, the info was quite informative, i'll probably just end up calling the police station and asking them.

Originally posted by Manji
i'll probably just end up calling the police station and asking them.
I tried that here. I called 4 different stations in my city and spoke with six different police officers. Not only did each of them tell me a different story about what the laws were, but not one of them had it right. That's why I carry a copy of the relevant Penal Codes in my wallet. It won't ensure that I don't get arrested for carrying a legal knife (or 4), but what else can you do?

State law says something like you can't carry a fixed blade knife over 3" concealed????

Anyway, just wanted to point out that middle of last summer some jerks passed a law to amend the definition of a switch blade to include any knife you could open by flicking your wrist. ie, all the knives that became popular in the last couple years are now illegal in Calif. Funny thing is that no one knows about it, so there are thousands walking around that don't even know they are criminals!

I carry the Kershaw Blackout that opens with the slightest flip o the thumb. Cool...

Matthew,

Under state law you can't carry a fixed blade of any length concealed. One of my martial arts training partners sold a copy of a one inch Cold Steel Mini Pal to a guy who was arrested and got 120 days. He was on parole and hanging out in a known druggie area. It's unlikely that a "clean-cut" person would have the same result, but why risk it.

it seems that not one person knows the "exact" laws not even the police officer, i have the same problem when trying to figure the car modification laws in California, everytime you ask someone different they give you a different answer.

Originally posted by MatthewM
State law says something like you can't carry a fixed blade knife over 3" concealed????
You can't carry a fixed blade of any length concealed, see PC 12020.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that middle of last summer some jerks passed a law to amend the definition of a switch blade to include any knife you could open by flicking your wrist. ie, all the knives that became popular in the last couple years are now illegal in Calif. Funny thing is that no one knows about it, so there are thousands walking around that don't even know they are criminals!
The bill that did this was SB274, you can find old threads on it in the AKTI Forum. I spoke to the House Public Safety Committee about this bill, and while it did pass, it didn't do what you think it did. A folding knife that can be opened by a flick of the wrist is illegal only if it has no detent or bias towards closure. Here is the relevant penal code: from [edited because I can't get the link to work] Go here:http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html, click "Penal Code" and type in "knife" in the search screen. That'll give you the relevant PC's.
653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means
that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver
and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.
I carry the Kershaw Blackout that opens with the slightest flip o the thumb. Cool...
And it is legal, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cop on the street who found that knife on you disagreed with me, and you had to go to court to prove it.

What was left out of the cite was the lame reasoning behind it. The switchblade definition was changed because, "...some gang members in San Diego really like them..."

So, a cop sees some guys standing on the street corner showing their cool knives to each other and so they must be banned???

I don't care if every gang member, crack head, felon, rapist in the state owns a gun or a six shot blade shooter from Mars, who cares? What a person does with it is what matters!

Back