Los Banos knives - place of mfr?

I've done lots of searches on various websites and forums and have not been able to determine where Chad's knives are being made.

I'm interesting in finding out where both the Subcom and the Hyper/M-Type knives are manufactured.
Does anyone know???

Thank you,
Mike

Hello, welcome to the forum.

All of the Boker Plus knives, including most of Chads, are made in Taiwan,
in an inspected factory.

The fixed blade SubCom is produced here in the US.

Thanks, Terry

Maybe I should start a new thread, I don't know.

Boker M Type arrived today.

Sticker on the blade: "Made in China"

Not pleased about that.

Terry,
Can you shed some light on the Boker M Type and Hyper and where they are made?

Are they made in Taiwan or China?

Thanks and regards,
Mike

R2,
What don't you like about the China manufacturing? Just curious. Their craftsmanship is excellent.
Lycosa

I have to agree. The quality on the CLB Bokers is fantastic. If you're looking for a Japanese CLB look at the Spyderco Lava. Expect to pay more for those though.

Lycosa,
You didn't ask for my feedback on China manufacturing, but I have two primary reasons:

1) China's use of capitalist profits to fuel their anti-U.S. military (which is why I do NOT object to goods being manufactured in places such as Japan, Taiwan, etc.).
2) Economic - China's extremely low cost labor force continues to pull manufacturing and jobs away from the U.S. (and, it's the 'low price' mentality of what people demand and purchase [e.g. WalMart] in the marketplace that continues to fuel that fire).

Not to turn this into a political thread, but you asked.

Regards,
Mike

R2,
What don't you like about the China manufacturing? Just curious. Their craftsmanship is excellent.
Lycosa

I think the Chinese excel at manufacturing certain items...and are not so good
at manufacturing other items.

I've looked at a lot of Chinese made knives and have been very unimpressed.

Yes, occasionally a good one "happens", but Chinese knife manufacturing is marred by inconsistency. At this time.

And this M Type I have has all the hallmarks of a Chinese made knife.
Clunky. Erratic fit and finish. An edge that's not very sharp.

Many knives made in Taiwan, OTH, are excellent.
A couple that come to mind are the Blade Tech Lite and the other Boker Plus knives.

I'd like to get a Los Banos knife, but I think I'll opt for one of the other models. One made in Taiwan.

I have to agree. The quality on the CLB Bokers is fantastic.

Yes. The CLB Bokers that are made in Taiwan.

I find that the quality of knives that are made in Taiwan is very, very good.
And getting better.

Question is pretty complicated:
AFAIK:

#1 some people have alledgely got hand on knives branded "Boker+" and marked as made in China

#2 some "made-in-china-Böker+-knives" (mostly from the "armed forces" line) have been seen at least @ some online dealers (ebay, alibaba.com,... no "well established dealer" AFAIK). Those were branded "Böker+", marked "made in china" but displayed many small differences (different pocket clip, different screw placement,...) clearly indicating that those were un-authorized rip-offs.

Whever the knives seen in #1 were the same as those seen in #2 (ripp-offs) is still to be established.
So far all the Böker+ I had were clearly marked "Taiwan"

PS: as a side note, don't know if this is relevant, but taiwanese sometimes consider that the PRC are usurpators, and thus that they are the "true Chinese". That might be an explanation although I seriously doubt this.

Question is pretty complicated:
AFAIK:

#1 some people have alledgely got hand on knives branded "Boker+" and marked as made in China

#2 some "made-in-china-Böker+-knives" (mostly from the "armed forces" line) have been seen at least @ some online dealers (ebay, alibaba.com,... no "well established dealer" AFAIK). Those were branded "Böker+", marked "made in china" but displayed many small differences (different pocket clip, different screw placement,...) clearly indicating that those were un-authorized rip-offs.

Whever the knives seen in #1 were the same as those seen in #2 (ripp-offs) is still to be established.
So far all the Böker+ I had were clearly marked "Taiwan"

I bought my M-Type, which had a "Made in China" sticker on the blade, directly from one of the most reputable dealers around.

Aloha ALL,

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...TJT? Marketing?

Help?:confused:

FWIW, mine had the Made In China sticker on the blade too. However, if it didn't...I wouldn't know the difference from the ones made in Taiwan.:confused: I mean, I have handled some POS knives from both Taiwan and China...but these just don't fit into "that line of knives" IMHO.

Sorry rifon2 and TheFlash.:(

God bless and take care.:cool:

Daywalker,
No worries and I wish you all the best.
I'm still planning on getting a few of those Subcoms.
Now, if only there was a purple handled Subcom for my wife...
(I guess she'll have to make do with the tan for now.)

Best regards,
Mike

Aloha ALL,

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...TJT? Marketing?

Help?:confused:

FWIW, mine had the Made In China sticker on the blade too. However, if it didn't...I wouldn't know the difference from the ones made in Taiwan.:confused: I mean, I have handled some POS knives from both Taiwan and China...but these just don't fit into "that line of knives" IMHO.

Sorry rifon2 and TheFlash.:(

God bless and take care.:cool:

Daywalker,

Thanks for staying on top of things & hope you get some response from TJT on this...

Your designs are terrific; please keep them coming.

:cool:

Hello everyone, I just had a chance to see this, sorry it took awhile.

The one I have did not have a sticker on it. I just went into the warehouse,
and we do not have any in stock to check. This is above my pay grade, so I am going to have to ask the higher ups. I am going to ask Dan tomorrow, and see what I can find out, or, if Tobias sees this, maybe he can tell what he knows.

We will get to the bottom of this, as soon as possible.
Thanks, Terry

All mine came from an authorized german dealer. Non had any 'china made' stickers on them.
The most recent HYPER pe neither had such sticker.

I could not detect any quality issues on mine.

I would advice people to buy ONLY from authorized dealers.
There are some online questionable sites where rip off Boker plus are offered.

On these rip offs the clips look different or are mantled with different screws. The Clb design logo may miss on the blade
Steelmarkings may miss. Different screws are used .
They commonly sell at cheaper prices as the genuine ones.

I am curious what Terry can find.

Cheers Maarten

All mine came from an authorized german dealer. Non had any 'china made' stickers on them.
The most recent HYPER pe neither had such sticker.

I could not detect any quality issues on mine.

I would advice people to buy ONLY from authorized dealers.
There are some online questionable sites where rip off Boker plus are offered.

On these rip offs the clips look different or are mantled with different screws. The Clb design logo may miss on the blade
Steelmarkings may miss. Different screws are used .
They commonly sell at cheaper prices as the genuine ones.

I am curious what Terry can find.

Cheers Maarten

Maarten,

The knife could be made in China...Boker might not want "Made in China" to be imprinted on the knife itself...
so, in countries that require a statement of origin - where the knife was manufactured - a simple removable sticker stating "Made in China" is slapped on the blade...
in countries where no such statement of origin is required the sticker is not used, and the knife remains unmarked as to its place of manufacture.

This is my "educated guess" as to what's happening here.

Back