Losar Special

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
Good Evening Ladies and Gentleman,
Sherpa and Tibetan new year Losar is right around the corner!
Today Pemba and Chokpa carved the Loshar Khapsa bread with Kumar Karda and baby Tinchira. KK and BTC served them well.

12 5/8'' 11 ounce villager fit and finish Kumar Karda by Ram Kumar. Sandan wood handle with four pins. Leather sheath. $78. *SOLD*

9 1/4 inch 7 ounce Baby Tin Chirra by Ram Kumar. Steel guard. Horn and bone combination handle. Leather sheath. She is sharp and beautiful! $85.

pHPqe2R.jpg

BVzNHTt.jpg

Eql7jph.jpg

ZKeiftJ.jpg

RAvfiiC.jpg

Z44AWUm.jpg

Q9uccDD.jpg

7FX1RpX.jpg

Email to himimp@aol.com to get one or both
First come first served

Last edited:
That looks delicious! That KK is a beast. Anyone looking for a rock solid camp knife need look no further:)

Losar, or the Tibetan New Year of 2020 falls on Monday February 24, 2020. This will be the first day of the Iron Rat year of 2147 according to the Tibetan Lunar Calendar.

That looks delicious! That KK is a beast. Anyone looking for a rock solid camp knife need look no further:)

So, this is a chiruwa style KK with no bolster, 4 handle pins, and about a 7 1/2 inch blade?
Would be a great candidate to try my hand at a folded/molded sheath...
Add a choil and some jimping, too?

OK---EMS Kumar Karda

Got the Done Deal on Kumar Karda.
Judging by the weight and the pics and the fact that its a chiruwa handle, I'm thinking it's about a 5mm spine. Not as thick as some KKs. What do you think? I'll know soon enough anyway...

Add a choil and some jimping, too?

OK---EMS Kumar Karda

Grats jfox! Now that would be a great idea and a reasonable thing to do with a good file set. I always like a choil for a finite stop for sharpening reasons but jimping would be perfect on the KK. I might try it myself on an antler KK I have. Post what you got if you decide to do it. I myself would love to see what you come up with.

You know, choils and jimping go together like thumbs and forefingers. If you have one you want the other. But if I had to have only one it would be the choil. Sure does help with sharpening straight blades. I even cut a small choil in my 940-2 because their new plunge grinds don't come back far enough.

Yep I agree 100%! Sucks to try and figure out how to feather the back edge into whatever the heck is there once you've had a knife for so many years with lots of wear. I do have to say tho I like a fish filet knife without a choil. Nothing wrong with a thin blade with lots of flex. Dont have to worry about stress risers etc. But I got ya. One thing about HI blades tho is most of them have a cho and that acts as a kind of choil and that works pretty dang good. It wouldnt bother me if everything they made had a cho tho. I find it very useful. Pardon my ignorance but whats a plunge grind? Is it a concave grind what you would find on a 2x72 10" contact wheel or something like that? Hard to tell but that Tin Chirra shes using looks like it has a cho. Man that is a sweet blade. Id snag it if I didnt already have stuff in the mail.

Pardon my ignorance but whats a plunge grind? Is it a concave grind what you would find on a 2x72 10" contact wheel or something like that?

Well... let me see if can explain in words.
At the back end of many modern blades there is a radiused portion of the grind. This is where the grind stops and the wheel leaves this concaved radius. On a benchmade 940 for instance, there is a flat spot similar to a choil but it is there for the locking mechanism. The plunge grind on the older ones came back behind the end of the edge. But for some years now they have been forward of the back end of the edge.
I've re-read this and i don't think it makes sense.
A picture would work...

Ha! Thanks jfox. I think I see what you mean from one on their website. Kinda like a round choil. Looks like it serves the same purpose.

Got the Done Deal on Kumar Karda.
Judging by the weight and the pics and the fact that its a chiruwa handle, I'm thinking it's about a 5mm spine. Not as thick as some KKs. What do you think? I'll know soon enough anyway...
You get your KK yet? I sent an email for this one but you beat me to it. Yangdu had another one available. This one is the little brother to yours. Also has a Sandan wood handle and is made by Ram Kumar. Mine is about an inch shorter, only has two pins, and not villager finish on the blade.

It is definitely a rock solid camp knife as stated earlier. Razor sharp too. It reminds me of a leuku.

Back