Lost in a Cornmaze, a Halloween story (word heavy)

Every year my lady and I head on out to a pumpkin patch and walk around say "cute this cute that.. this pumpkin has warts...cute..." Ok that isn't true, well mostly but anyway, this year we brought our niece and pug with us and went to a pumpkin patch that had a corn maze. My niece and I were both very excited to try out the corn maze.

I being the stubborn manly man (who owns a pug that happens to be the runt of the litter) kept telling the fiance to let our dog, Luna, off leash. Let her enjoy the pumpkin patch!!! This is where I went wrong.

Luna is a pug. Pugs don't like the heat. Today was hot. Luna decided, "F you mom and dad for bringing me here. I'm running into this corn maze suckas, see if you can catch me"

See now, Luna is a very well behaved dog, and never strays far. She just happens to have her moms attitude ;) and well, we pissed her off.
She takes off into the corn maze and I run after, completely breaking down corn stalks (is that what they're called?) as I chase and call after this damned dog. Eventually she decides to show us dumb humans mercy and comes back to us. We leash her up, I curse a bit, and we continue to peruse pumpkins and eventually go into the maze to actually try the maze, the proper way.

At some point I decided I want to whip out the anodized ZT 0630CF in m390 I brought with me that day to cut who knows what at this point and go to reach for it and boy..... did my nuts shrivel up as that sinking realization that what should be attached to my rf pocket, isn't.

I tell the fiance and niece what I dropped and my lady makes an "oh shit" face. I leave them to begin looking all through the damed corn maze. CORN MAZE. I dropped my KNIFE in a freaking CORN MAZE. A BIG ASS CORN MAZE. After about an hour with no luck and a million different thoughts and ideas of what to do...I leave the corn maze back to the niece, fiance and Luna, defeated and sweaty.

My lady doesn't take no for an answer and suggests we go back to the area I initially jumped in through when Luna decided to have her teenage rebellion and run off. "I checked there from the other side" I say but we walk over all the same.

We start looking all over the floor in that area and am reminded how much I want kick myself in the nuts that now reside in my throat for having lost that knife. As I stand up, something catches my eye, it's my freaking knife, clipped (yes clipped, pictures included) to a corn stalk. My fiance laughs, says "what the hell!? You need to take a picture of that and post it to that knife forum thing you're always on!".

I left being able to breath easier and with an even bigger soft spot for my fiance, my niece for helping, and Luna my fur child for giving me one hell of a Halloween scare.
Thanks for reading!
How I found the knife:
D6RAccM.jpg

awq2tc6.jpg

& the beast that caused the fiasco, Luna:
h6v9grQ.jpg

I know we already have a ton of threads of losing a knives, what about losing and then finding them in strange places???

Luna is pretty darn cute. I have a Luna, too. Actually, I call her Petunia. Conchita calls her Luna. She answers to either one.

I have almost lost clipped knives the same way, not in corn, but to a plastic patio chair.

B2AA4CEE-F4DC-493A-83DA-C949FDC57321.jpeg

I stopped clipped carry when I hike due to branches catching under the clip and yanking my folder out. More than once I had to go back and find my knife hanging off a branch. I either belt carry now or carry a fixed blade.

I stopped clipped carry when I hike due to branches catching under the clip and yanking my folder out. More than once I had to go back and find my knife hanging off a branch. I either belt carry now or carry a fixed blade.

Bravo

decades ago I jumped on a snowmobile to do a quick errand and lost a Spyderco police

That day I learned in active situations pocket carry didn’t work for me

Funny things it also doesn’t work for me in dress situations because it looks so bad

Glad op found his knife

Maybe try using a dummy cord?

glad you found it, i never use pocket clips, only cause i don't want people seeing I'm carrying plus, stuff like this tend to happen. also I've shredded one too many pairs of dickeys using pocket clips, no más

Looks like the wave worked by deploying the blade when it got pulled out. When I tried one out at a store I could not get the thing to deploy for crap. I guess that corn stock has more dexterity than me. I had a knife get yanked out of my pocket at work the other day but I never found it. My guess is someone on the site scored a new knife that day but no sweat it was a $20. dollar kershaw. Glad you found it and it looked like Luna was happy too.

Glad you found it! I've had clip folders yanked out of my pocket a few times, you're correct, it's a nut shriveling experience. Thought I lost my PM2 not too long ago, looked all over for it and couldn't find it, opened my truck door and there it was, hanging on the seat belt! Apparently when I took my seat belt off it snagged the clip and pick pocketed me.

Luna is pretty darn cute. I have a Luna, too. Actually, I call her Petunia. Conchita calls her Luna. She answers to either one.

I have almost lost clipped knives the same way, not in corn, but to a plastic patio chair.

View attachment 1010949
Luna conchita is very cute. It's pretty wild how knive transfer themselves from being clipped to your pants, onto another object.

Thank you jill, it's been a lot of trial and error with this Luna. Definitely don't starin her too much when it's hot out so in all truthiness I'm pretty sure she ran into the corn maze because it offered her shade from the sun. Smart pup. We got her back in the air conditioned car soon after

Awesome replies everyone, never would have thought that this is a common occurrence, I appreciate the wisdom. I tend to carry fixed blades on hikes or if I'll be doing handy/yard work. Definitely need to rethink when and where I'll be wearing clipped folders to from now on.

As for the wave on this particular knife, it works really well. So much so that when I draw it, depending on where I'm at, I have to purposefully do it in a way where it won't deploy using the wave method.

I love the story and I'm happy you found your blade. Very lucky!

I always drop it in the pocket for high risk situations ;).

Tyson says Hi. He has chewed up a leather CRK slip and Mora sheath in the past. He has moved on to rubber chew toys.

IMG_20181028_183613~3.jpg

This story is a little corny... Really happy you found it! I hate loosing things so much.

Eh, what can I say, I can be a corny kind of guy :Do_O.

You say you hate losing things, the feeling is mutual. Have you ever lost a knife?

Back