Lost my HEST today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to go help a buddy track a doe this afternoon. He didnt make a great shot, so she ran for a ways. And where did she run to--a nasty thorn thicket. Well after crawling on knees and times and hunched over walking at times trying to get through I noticed my HEST had most likely been snagged out of its sheath my some vines or thorn bushes.:mad:

My question is-Does anyone know if you can buy the HEST alone? I love that knife.

I'd probably go back through that thicket at least one more time before buying. Any chance you had a GPS unit running?

I had my first hest stolen while I was hiking i just went and bought a new one and am 100 times more careful now but I'd retrace my steps to the best of memory before buying a new one

Stolen WHILE hiking? Must be those rogue squirrel bandits!

Stop! Hiker! Drop the knife or someone dies here today! And we want your nuts! The salted ones!

Stolen WHILE hiking? Must be those rogue squirrel bandits!

Stop! Hiker! Drop the knife or someone dies here today! And we want your nuts! The salted ones!

Yeah, i want more details on that.. i mean geez.. is it another hiker that bumped into you and jack your blade ? The good old bump-steal-wallet trick.. :)

I have noticed that the retention of the sheath for my HEST is significant less than that of my 5, which is probably because of the Blind Horse retention system, a novel idea in my book.

When hunting or anywhere with thick brush, or when out on the boat in the summer, I run some orange paracord through the two holes near the pommel of the knife and then look the paracord through the top right hole of the sheath, securing the two ends together with a simple knot.

It's not the most high-tech solution in the world, but it keeps the knife in place so it's not lost in the brush or at the bottom of the lake. A tight, simple knot makes it secure in place but easy to get to should it become necessary.

Sorry to hear about you losing your knife. Take care.

KATN,

Wade

I used the additional Chicago screws that increase sheath retention and have been pleased with the lock-up on mine so far.

Factory retention was fine for my preferences, just wanted to have a safeguard against loss without having to really adjust anything when hitting the brush where it would be more likely to be lost.

Between the new orange Izula from Knifeworks and the orange-handled 3 and 4, I hopefully won't be losing anything anytime soon. :D

Hey, if you're looking to unload that spare sheath, I'm chasing one. Just let me know how much you want for it.

Sorry to hear it. I lost a Delica 4 some time ago and it wasn't a good feeling.

Glad to hear your back up and got another one.

I lost a Spydie Endura on a camping trip, so I feel your pain, brother! But I found a really cool stag-handled folder when I was a kid, so I tried to call it even. Still sucks, though.

"Hey, if you're looking to unload that spare sheath,"

oh that's cold.... Like Jeffrey Dahmer to Lorraine Bobbit..."hey...you gonna eat that?"

personally I would buy a other knife and keep the old sheath to have a spare or one to rig to something permanent. and I would look for the one you lost. jmo

I would take a machete to the thicket and fight for that knife, maybe a metal detector if you still can't find it

Anything beyond that is buy a new knife

man that sucks. A buddy of mine talked about putting a tracking device in the handle of his hest after he lost his first one. Seems ridiculous to me but if your in love with the hest like he is, then you might want to consider it for your next hest.

To buy the knife alone your best bet it to check on ebay.

Ok. Now i've walked the path and surrounding area a couple of times now and still no luck. Used that knife quite a bit (along with many other soldiers that i've turned on to Esee) and I'm definately gotta buy another now.

Anybody got a dealer with a good price, or wanna sell me theirs?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back