Lots of customs for sale on forums and eBay

Not sure people have noticed that there's a large number of customs being proposed these days. Not sure why - I suspect people are trying to reduce their collection to fund / make room for their acquisitions at the Blade show.

Anyone noticed that?

When Blade comes around, there always seems to be a lot of fire sales going on. Which is great for those of us who can't attend ;)

Mike from Rehoboth Custom Knives has about 30 auctions going on at the moment.

Mike has 36 auctions currently on EBay and not 1 bid, WOW. He has some excellent knives. If he would reduce his premiums to only a 40% profit he might actually sell some of those knives off of his site and not have to give EBay a cut. :D

WWG

From what I understand this seems to be part of the annual cycle - I withdrew my sales when it was pointed out to me - May through July will be a buyers market!

Stephen

I think there is a sell off after Blade by some folks too, when they spend more than anticipated.

Yes, this is my FAVORITE time of year, guys unloading great stuff for below market value, realizing they spent FAR TOO MUCH at BLADE. This is better than after X-mas! Now sellers, the time to sell is BEFORE X-mas, when buyers are willing to spend for that special holiday gift. ;)

RogerP said:
Yep. It happens every year around this time... ;)

Roger
Yup what Roger said :D.

I have only sold one custom knife out of my collection over the years so I can claim no guilt.

One of these years I am going to take my Blade cash and just buy some of the nice stuff being sold pre-Blade (for semi songs) (Will not happen this year with so much stuff I ordered years ago coming to fruition at the show.)

This is not a good time of the year to be selling off your collection. There are too many nice knives up for sale and some of them are at excellent prices.

I am going to BLADE, but if something sweet comes up I still grab it. I recently picked up a wonderful Bradshaw bowie off the forums. Sure I could have used the money for Atlanta, but there is no guarantee that I would find anything near the quality for anywhere near the price. I have never made it a priority to purchase a large quantity of knives in Atlanta. I have seen quite a few people running wild the first two hours buying anything that they THINK they want, only to unload it during or after the show. I am just more of a relaxed type buyer and enjoy thinking about a purchase before pulling the trigger.

blademan 13 said:
I am going to BLADE, but if something sweet comes up I still grab it. I recently picked up a wonderful Bradshaw bowie off the forums. Sure I could have used the money for Atlanta, but there is no guarantee that I would find anything near the quality for anywhere near the price. I have never made it a priority to purchase a large quantity of knives in Atlanta. I have seen quite a few people running wild the first two hours buying anything that they THINK they want, only to unload it during or after the show. I am just more of a relaxed type buyer and enjoy thinking about a purchase before pulling the trigger.

That seems like a sensible approach. This will be my first Blade and I fully expect it to be a fairly overwhelming experience from a purchase-potential point of view. I can easily see where my head might explode on day one just from all the highly desireable options out there. I will have no problem spending my budget (and hopefully not any more - don't want to end up washing dishes at the hotel) but I'm going to try to play it cool and avoid the frenzy waiting to unfold. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Which reminds me - are there any meet-ups planned for us internet-forum-geeks?

Roger

PS - Jamie - you done good on that Bradshaw.

This is an excellent time for folks who can't go to Blade to buy some really nice knives for a really great price..........just check out EVERY knife I sell!!
I plan to go to Blade and am picking up two knives that I ordered specifically for the Blade Show pickup. That way I set the budget on what those will cost and there I stop it. Another big plus to this is that I don't have to worry with running all over the place trying to find knives, and I get more time to just browse. Of course other knives pop up that you had not planned on. That's why I take several customs down with me to use for trading.

Btw, I'm picking up two knives from Rick Hinderer at the show. One is a Firetac Extreme with a bowie style blade and a koa wood insert. The other is one of Rick's neat little neck knives.

Roger,

I don't know of any formalized get togethers outside of Gus' dinner on Thursday. It is really easy to hook up with people from the forums. I have met Danbo and Wulf at the show and enjoyed their company at lunch, the ABS banquet and later in The Pit. It will surprise you how easy it is to meet people from the forums, either directly or through mutual acquantainces. Looking forward to meeting you as well as a host of others.

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the Bradshaw ;)

Back