Lots of Scrap, Whatever Can We Do?

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been using water buffalo leather (veg tan) for a few years now. Its a great strap/belt leather and I've gone through quite a bit of it.

About 6 months back I noticed that chrome tan (chap type leather) water buffalo was now available. I ordered some up for a chap project and it rapidly became very popular. I've since made four pairs of shotgun chaps, three pairs of chinks and two pairs of charmitas:

Shotgun chaps:

oxqhOvd.jpg

pFjCptk.jpg

Chinks:

ksx0WFL.jpg

fsIDcjR.jpg

Charmitas:

niZ9mgd.jpg

sPJnZcg.jpg

Its attributes? Well its relatively inexpensive about $3.60 a square foot. Its a beautiful "broke in" medium brown that folks really like. It has a great texture and a wonderful feel. It breathes very well in hot conditions and keeps ya warm in cold, so its very comfortable and it drapes very well. It might be the perfect chap leather.

Its detractions? Well the sides are small. About 15 square feet. So in making any kind of leggings I need two sides, one for each leg. The problem is ya get ya a pretty big pile of scrap built up pretty fast. What ya gonna do with it? Thought I'd share some of the things we've come up with:

One of the first things I came up with was for lining on my Rangeflap holsters. I was already using the belt water buffalo scraps for the flap strap and also the belt loop on the back:

4YQnFpm.jpg

8s1Vdfw.jpg

My one concern here was how well would it edge. It did great as long as it has the firmness of the veg tan backing.

Needed to make up some buckaroo folding knife pouches.

WMPkIE4.jpg

nKTiOww.jpg

When using a new leather for this application I'll make up a trial pattern first. Some leathers seem to cause tarnish really fast, others don't at all. So I made up one, put a folder of mine with nickel silver bolsters on it and left it on the bathroom counter for several weeks. No problems. So I've made a LOT of these guys now from this leather. We'll usually make ten at a time. We use a different chap leather for the strap as I think the buffalo might be a little stretchy for that use.

A guy picked up his water buffalo belt one day and asked if I could make a matching sheath for his Leatherman. These sheaths have to have some wet molding done to them for retention and the regular belt water buffalo doesn't mold well. I came up with the idea of overlaying this chap leather on regular veg tan to make this sheath:

eN3Znl1.jpg

It worked so well and I liked it so well, I made myself a holster:

pKEHpwE.jpg

The guy that teaches Nichole's CCW classes saw that pic on Instagram and he ordered one for his pistol. Decided to make two others for stock as we're getting ready for a show. So I made up three yesterday. In process:

ycwdfV1.jpg

I'd previously made up a few water buffalo belts too for stock. We had a pretty good selection of larger sizes but need some smaller ones. This left some belt buffalo straps sitting on the cutting table 20 inches long or so. I cut up a couple for various other thinner straps needed on other projects but still had four laying there. I thought hmm what about slobber straps. We had't made any slobber straps in a few years. So we did, busted out two sets, overlaying the chap buffalo on the belt buffalo.

2MchXdH.jpg

mGo0wa4.jpg

Slobber straps are used to attach a mecate type rein to a snaffle bit. Here's a couple of pics of a carved pair we made my son to show ya how they work:

Ld0mr1A.jpg

QWuT3VV.jpg

Kinda warming up to this deal. I'd just made my first roughout belt. In fact the neighbor bought it before it was finished it was so cool. I thought why not a overlaid belt it'd be kinda roughoutish:

aFzScKt.jpg

I made it over 7/8 oz Herman Oak.

LEYIFEf.jpg

Kinda wondering what other ideas we could come up with, hmmm?

Last edited:
Got to thinking about what else we can do. When going to a show we always try to have as wide a variety of product as possible. Here's a quick 15 second video of last years rodeo sponsors dinner, which is tonight:

It shows the variety we try to take. We also try to have something new each time. Don't always but we thought hmm, water buffalo, hmm? It helps to have something new for some of your old time customers to look at. So Nichole whipped out several soft notebook covers in different sizes. These are 5"x7"s. She also made some 3x5s, kinda a shopping list little deal.

1QJrTdj.jpg

PiW0rHJ.jpg

Her card wallets are always a staple and we always sell quite a few at a show. So she made a few out of the buffalo:

FfphWMI.jpg

Then she really ran with the wallet thing. She had experimented with a magnet type wallet some time back. She'd made one for my son and one for herself. She'd really been liking the deal. The magnet acts as a money clip. So she made up like six as she had that many magnet sets:

HGWt43Y.jpg

5lDB3xy.jpg

XDyDZo9.jpg

TcPyUZD.jpg

oLwjAas.jpg

I think these puppies are gonna sell, fast!

Whadya think any more ideas? We're out of time for this show but there's always another show around the corner. The sponsor ship dinner is tonight, as I mentioned and then the rodeo itself Friday and Saturday. Here's our booth from last year. At the dinner we just set up a couple of tables but during the rodeo we set up the whole booth:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmmpp-fh_Ky/

Small belt pouch that would hold spare cartridges. Like the old dump pouch police used

Small belt pouch that would hold spare cartridges. Like the old dump pouch police used

Hmm thats a good thought. I know those deals, in fact have one around somewhere. Use about 7/8 oz for body and then overlay. I like it. A LOT! Got the wheels going.

I really like that fold-over holster. I've been thinking I need a foldover knife sheath for a little while, now it makes me think a holster wouldn't be all bad either.

I'm pretty sure your stamp work is some of the best I've seen and I love the way you and your wife are able to get it to accent the natural tones of the leather too.

Simple bracelets with stitches with thicker tread in some nice color, bracelets with conrtrasted color inlay, key pouches stitched with nice colored thread for closure brass stud which can adjust, like we once discussed with omega leather
https://imgur.com/FnLaDCU
https://imgur.com/aooXmuU
https://imgur.com/g06cFo5
https://imgur.com/c2LJlMm
https://imgur.com/duAS5e4
https://imgur.com/3MiJc1v

Yeah it would certainly work, I think especially with that first one with the contrasting inlay. Work well for that.

I really like that fold-over holster. I've been thinking I need a foldover knife sheath for a little while, now it makes me think a holster wouldn't be all bad either.

I'm pretty sure your stamp work is some of the best I've seen and I love the way you and your wife are able to get it to accent the natural tones of the leather too.

Thanks for the kind words. That Rangeflap holster has been very popular.

Love your stuff. I’m always on the look out for fixed blade pocket sheaths. Squared off like a wallet shape.

Simple bracelets with stitches with thicker tread in some nice color, bracelets with conrtrasted color inlay, key pouches stitched with nice colored thread for closure brass stud which can adjust, like we once discussed with omega leather

Real nice Macan!

Wonder how it would hold up on the horseshoe coasters? Christmas stockings?
I think it would look really nice on a purse or bag. Wasn't Nicole doing some really nice bags?
Is it thin enough to try as one of your wildrags? I know those are cloth so I'm not sure if it's plausible or not.
/shrug

Chris

Inspirational as always, Dave !

Thanks Amy.

Wonder how it would hold up on the horseshoe coasters? Christmas stockings?
I think it would look really nice on a purse or bag. Wasn't Nicole doing some really nice bags?
Is it thin enough to try as one of your wildrags? I know those are cloth so I'm not sure if it's plausible or not.
/shrug

Chris

Horseshoe coasters probably not. Too porous wouldn't take the finish to protect it from the moisture off the glass. The Christmas stockings for sure would be a good one and bags too. In fact, Thursday night a gal at the sponsorship dinner ordered a purse and then she picked it up Fri at the rodeo. Too thick for the wildrags. Silk is the only way to go there. Good thoughts though!

Love your stuff. I’m always on the look out for fixed blade pocket sheaths. Squared off like a wallet shape.

Thanks. Could probably come up with something for ya. And an overlay with the buffalo would be cool.

Horsewright Horsewright you said your buffalo was veg tan. Where are you getting it from if you don't mind me asking? I've been using chrome tanned for wallet backs and hate it but haven't been able to find it in veg tan. I do love the colors the buffalo comes in so that's why I keep using it just hate edging it. Your work is amazing as always and I love seeing all the pictures whenever you post!

We use the veg tan buffalo for lots of projects too like belts, straps for holsters, sheaths and rifle scabbards, headstalls, bosal hangers etc. During our three day show last weekend we took eight orders for belts, six were water buffalo.

Here's where I get it: Same place I get the chrome tanned chap too btw.

Veg tan:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com..._/shop-now/leather/veg-tan-dyed/water-buffalo

Chrome tan:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com...p-now/leather/chrome-tanned/top-grain-leather

Thanks Dave I’ll have to order some next time I need some buffalo. Those colors they have look great!

Gorgeous work as always.

How about a basic bifold wallet that has an organizer on the front for a small slipjoint, flashlight, and pen ?

It might end up about as thick as a normal trifold when empty, and might be a hot ticket for those who don't like like the card wallet idea.
I couldn't afford your work im sure, but I'm not the card wallet type and something like this would be pretty cool.

Gorgeous work as always.

How about a basic bifold wallet that has an organizer on the front for a small slipjoint, flashlight, and pen ?

It might end up about as thick as a normal trifold when empty, and might be a hot ticket for those who don't like like the card wallet idea.
I couldn't afford your work im sure, but I'm not the card wallet type and something like this would be pretty cool.

Thanks. I actually asked Nichole if she wanted to make a regular bifold wallet and she didn't want to for several reasons. Mostly as other folks already do.

Thanks. I actually asked Nichole if she wanted to make a regular bifold wallet and she didn't want to for several reasons. Mostly as other folks already do.

There are certainly lots of options to choose from.
Now a bifold with knife storage incorporated not so much.
And what if that knife was a small fixed blade ?

That may convince her to make it, I doubt anyone else makes anything like it .

Back