Love/hate for the Buck warranty

It warms my heart that Buck will make good on anything they did wrong.

It hurts me anytime I have to send something back.

I lost a 301 while out hunting rabbits, came home, and immediately ordered another. It arrived today and I found I could only open 2 of 3 blades (one at a time). It turns out the middle blade acts like a wedge and locks the spey blade in place when all 3 blades are closed. I know Buck will make good on it so I shipped it straight back in the same box; I'm just bummed since my last one was perfect. Ah well, I'll get it back in a couple of weeks or so. Until then I'll carry my Marksman. I don't imagine they sell a ton of the US made traditional pocket knives, but I'm glad they still make them and even more glad they use better (IMO) heat treated steel than Case. It'll be a sad day when the tooling is too worn out to continue production.

Last edited:
I agree they have better blades than Case.

Great knives, they just never had the panache that Case did.

My favorite traditional pocket knives were always Camillus. Its a shame Buck couldn’t have taken over Camillus and dominated the slip joint market.

My favorite traditional pocket knives were always Camillus. Its a shame Buck couldn’t have taken over Camillus and dominated the slip joint market.
Camillus made great knives, but the '85-'99 in house 305's blow the Camillus contract 305's out of the water in my opinion.

Btw as to the idea of them discontinuing " traditional pocket Knife " production, let's not forget that the 500 series are all traditional pocket knives that probably aren't going away anytime soon, even if the 500 is discontinued and the 505 is only available through the custom shop.
I'm betting they're here to stay.

Btw as to the idea of them discontinuing " traditional pocket Knife "

I don't think they'll be discontinuing them on purpose any time soon, but I recall a few people mentioning that the tooling was old and when it wears out it may not be cost effective to replace/repair it.

No time like the present to stock up! I have enough Buck Knives in my accumulation to equip several generations of prolific descendants. OH
You know, I don't have a 303...

They seem to be a little dependent on people using warranty rather than quality control lately. Just my opinion I guess but I watched a YouTube video of a tour of the facility and the people that worked there. And the over whelming amount of people they showed building the knives were only there months. That means turn over in my eyes. Hard for anyone to be a true craftsman when they are a 22 year old with 3 months experience building knives.

They seem to be a little dependent on people using warranty rather than quality control lately. Just my opinion I guess but I watched a YouTube video of a tour of the facility and the people that worked there. And the over whelming amount of people they showed building the knives were only there months. That means turn over in my eyes. Hard for anyone to be a true craftsman when they are a 22 year old with 3 months experience building knives.
Having seen the edges on the 110's and other US made knives in Walmart, that makes a lot of sense. The last 303 I picked up a few months ago looked like it was assembled from scraps. I don't know that any of the springs were completely straight, and the edges had years ground out of them. I kept debating on whether to send it in for warranty service but a friend took it off my hands saving me the trouble.

I love the company but they need to fix their quality control. The blade centering, the blade grind symmetry, the bevel symmetry are off more than on anymore. I have got a couple though that were spot on so they have a couple people there that know what they are doing. Below is one of them. Perfect through and through 😀20240110_073427.jpg

Back