Loveless Knives Part II

In answer to the questions about the future of the Loveless Shop, hopefully this will shed some light on the situation. Bobs nephew, who has been working with Jim at the shop since 2011 is taking over the shop and will be making the knives from this point on. If any of you has visited the Loveless Knives booth at the Blade Show in the past 6 years you have met him there. Any and all questions about the shop are always welcome and you can email him at Russ@lovelessknives.com or through the shops website.

Sorry to be negative but it is not good to see the shop continue. The legendary era of Loveless Knives has ended. Jim did not wish for the shop to continue under anyone. Bob's nephew is not a notable knife maker and is in no way able to produce a knife to the standards of Bob Loveless or Jim Merritt. If he would like to make knives that is great, just create your own brand and logo. To make a Loveless Knife copy and use the same logo is unacceptable. There are incredible knife makers out there who did learn from Jim and they make great knives with their own logos. Their knives don't even demand the Loveless shop prices. Unfortunately, I learned Russ was able to buy the rights to the logos for merchandise but now seems to be pushing himself as a Loveless knife maker. I did know Jim personally and he would not approve. I don't believe the shop will continue under Russ as he hopes so stay tuned. At least not the original location and equipment. Jim's wish was for the equipment to be sold off ending the era.

D dondford I still see Mike Lovett's knives for sale occasionally. Having owned a few, they aren't Loveless but every bit as good or better than a lot of the guys making copies. I think you had a City Knife at one time IIRC. I haven't talked to Mike in a while, I hope he and Manuela are doing okay. They've had a rough time the last ten years.

I gotta agree a little on this. If anyone was to continue makeing Loveless Knives, they should at least have worked with Bob at some time in their career. To not have that connection seems disingenuous. As to pricing, if Bob or one of his partners didn’t make it, then it lacks the pedigree to garner the Loveless price IMHO.

D dondford I still see Mike Lovett's knives for sale occasionally. Having owned a few, they aren't Loveless but every bit as good or better than a lot of the guys making copies. I think you had a City Knife at one time IIRC. I haven't talked to Mike in a while, I hope he and Manuela are doing okay. They've had a rough time the last ten years.
Jerry:
I have one of Mike Lovett's integral City Knife and always loved it. Mike was a Prince to deal with; shortly after receiving the knife my 8 year old son bent the knife's tip and I was heart-broken. I called Mike up and asked if he could repair the knife at my expense. Mike would not hear of it and asked I return the knife to him. He repaired the knife and would not take a cent. I hope Mike is doing fine and still building his beautiful knives.

D

Jerry:
I have one of Mike Lovett's integral City Knife and always loved it. Mike was a Prince to deal with; shortly after receiving the knife my 8 year old son bent the knife's tip and I was heart-broken. I called Mike up and asked if he could repair the knife at my expense. Mike would not hear of it and asked I return the knife to him. He repaired the knife and would not take a cent. I hope Mike is doing fine and still building his beautiful knives.

D

Don, I don't think Mike has made any knives since about 2007. I had one of his integral City Knives as well, plus a green micarta version with bolsters that I deeply regret selling. I talked with him regularly on the phone for a few years after the eminent domain issue (the govt took over his land and home for some project), his wife was having some serious health issues at the time. Mike stopped making knives to take care of her. He would be in his 70's now. I have not heard anything about him in the last ten years. He was as good as they get, he had great insight into the Loveless shop when Bob was still making knives. I think he was the only maker that Bob gave permission to use the double nude logo (with a slight modification).

This thread is actually really interesting to me. I didn't know the Loveless shop was still making knives. We hear nothing about new production Loveless knives, but their prices are still sky-high. I think a lot of people would be interested to know if they're worth the price, given how widely RWL encouraged other people to use his patterns, and how many high-quality makers are making Loveless-style knives for much less.
Yeah. I will give my take on Loveless knives. Since Bob Loveless died, the continued making of knives with his name has destroyed the "brand" to the point I wouldn't consider buying one unless it was priced consistent with other handmade maker's knives.

This includes "old ones" that are supposed to have been made by Bob. All we need now is someone to start making Moran knives again.....

Last edited:
I saw a post on FB from Jim Merritt's grandson, he stated that the shop would be closed after Jim's passing. Totally wrong for the shop to continue under these circumstances. When Bob passed the logo was changed, the right thing to have done. To continue under this logo with Jim's passing is just wrong. Hopefully the Merritt family is able to follow through on Jim's wishes.

50614310_1331229167002238_6301520890785955840_o.jpg

50758759_1331229180335570_8507603212851740672_o.jpg

Back