loveless schrade pro hunter

here is a picture of the stamp i had

8037295_o.jpg

ebernal13 said:
apparently the sheath that i have says something about the date and production of this knife...anyone know that?

I've never seen a sheath like yours, are there any markings on the back of it?

Then I would question whether that sheath was made by Schrade or was otherwise original to the knife. Maybe one of the Schrade fellas can shed some light on that. There are some new PH1 sheaths currently on eBay.

Redshanks,
I just bought a Schrade Like the upper one but it has no serial # and no blade etching. I was concerned about the steel. Was it 154CM or the later steel-440C I think. I have a couple PH1's and have used one since I bought it at WalMart for $20 on close out in the late 80's.
The sheath on my knife is just marked Schrade- no Loveless.
I also have a PH2 that is still in the box. It was too small for my use at the time.
I daresay I have never gotten another one for $20.
I'm glad to finally get some info about this knife.

Doc, I'm not sure which knife you're referring to by the upper one, but if it says SCHRADE+ on the tang, it's made from a 440 series stainless steel. You really got a deal if you bought any version of the PH1 for $20. If you're using it and enjoy it, that's the highest tribute that you can pay to the design.

These are knives actually made by Bob Loveless, some of his older knives sell for as much as $10,000.00, each. The top knife should look very familiar to you:

It's the one with the maroon scales and the small brass strip instead of the PH1 type guard. Yes, it has a Schrade+ on the blade. Comparing the blades to the PH1, it is of significantly better finish. I actually bought this on as a user but it is so nice I think I'll put it in the drawer and continue on with my old PH1. It's kind of like a Browning HiPower. It just works. :)

That top knife is listed in the book about Loveless "The Cutting Edge" or something like that.

These are like candy and quite addictive. Of course once you have the knives then you start wanting the accessorys. LT

Oh man, LT... No way I would play poker with you, having to look across the table at you in that hat... with your Beaded USA vest and that nifty gold derringer and knife on the chain.

Deal me out!

Phil

Codger_64 said:
The "Wild und Hund" knives for the German magazine come to mind. The PH1 and PH2s were used for several SFOs, and it would not be odd to see some remainders or rejects sold and labeled as protos. Everything outside of the seller's knowledge is labeled a prototype these days, when often, they were base knives held in stock for future SFOs.

Codger

Hello all! I own 2 Prototypes that Codger refers to here and they are the real deal. One white stag and one burnt stag PH1s and both are serial numbers 0000. Can anyone give me more info on the knives? Thanks!
Ikedoc

does anyone know who makes the new Schrade PH1 knives? as i've heard that they are back in production.

Welcome to our forum, Jim.

The new PH 1 knives are made in China, for Taylor Cutlery, the new owner of the Schrade brand name. I have examined one in detail; It is a near perfect look-alike, but I have not used one to cut anything. Still seems to be plenty of the original, made in the USA knives out there, costing not much more than the China made ones.

I suppose you guys in the UK kinda resent seeing the brand name 'Sheffield' used on knives made in China. We feel the same way here. I suppose knife users/collectors in Germany have a distaste for the word 'Solingen steel' made in the orient.

Phil

Ikedoc... Welcome! If they are the real deal, you have some nice knives. Congrats. They were most likely sold as purportedly being part of the Schrade Factory collection. That may be true. So many of these things are coming out into the open that I, for one, just can't keep track of them. Maybe one of the other members of our forum has some input.

Phil

Ikedoc said:
Hello all! I own 2 Prototypes that Codger refers to here and they are the real deal. One white stag and one burnt stag PH1s and both are serial numbers 0000. Can anyone give me more info on the knives? Thanks!
Ikedoc
Post a close-up picture of the knives, particularly the serial numbers, the closer the better. I don't think it would be a normal thing for a SFO to be serialized (special factory order for a hunting magazine especially) like that. People are indeed beginning to add etches, serial stamps, and finishing unfinished knives to "double their money" on certain Schrades. I am not saying that is the case with your knives, but we do have some knowledgable people here who can tell us if the markings are indeed original to the knives.

Codger

Ph-1 just kick ass. A perfect design and great edc. Got lots of fixed blades but that knife lives in my bag so I always have it. I've always thought it one helluva deal for the price.

I have to completely agree. I must have 500 knives including a number of Randalls and Loveless copies of all vareities but the PH-1 is my all time favorite as an edc. It's been to Africa twice and whe I go afield,it goes too.

Post a close-up picture of the knives, particularly the serial numbers, the closer the better. I don't think it would be a normal thing for a SFO to be serialized (special factory order for a hunting magazine especially) like that. People are indeed beginning to add etches, serial stamps, and finishing unfinished knives to "double their money" on certain Schrades. I am not saying that is the case with your knives, but we do have some knowledgable people here who can tell us if the markings are indeed original to the knives.

Codger

Codger,
I found these 2 pics and thought I would show them. I could not post pics back in those days.
Blast from the past for sure.The 2 Wild and Hun knives are the first 2 from left in the 1st pic and 5th and 6th from left in the second pic. Just here for the viewing. Hoo Roo!

Attachments

• bucko 065.jpg
    bucko 065.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 61
  • mycollection 009.jpg
    mycollection 009.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back