Low rider clip inquiry (Spyderco Salt 1 & Delica 4)

STR,

I've read numerous posts about your low rider clips and I'm very interested in buying for my Spyderco Salt 1 & Spyderco Delica 4. From what I've read, it seems there are some challenges with these two knives for successful implementation of low rider clips.

Question #1: do you ever build a low rider design that wraps around the end of the knife? Meaning, the clip screws to the knife on one side, then wraps around the end of the knife to the other side where it engages your jeans. With this design, there is no issue of accessing the screw thru, or around, the clip. The clip is simply screwed down on the off side, and all of the engagement geometry (with your jeans) is on the other side. I've seen this style of low rider clip in pictures online and I'm wondering if that was a design that you can build? Please feedback.

Question #2: Simply put, can you make a low rider clip for a Spyderco Delica 4 or Spyderco Salt 1 in any way? If yes, what are the available options? I would love to make a purchase! Thank you.

Regards,
Brasstacks

Last edited:
STR,

I've read numerous posts about your low rider clips and I'm very interested in buying for my Spyderco Salt 1 & Spyderco Delica 4. From what I've read, it seems there are some challenges with these two knives for successful implementation of low rider clips.

Question #1: do you ever build a low rider design that wraps around the end of the knife? Meaning, the clip screws to the knife on one side, then wraps around the end of the knife to the other side where it engages your jeans. With this design, there is no issue of accessing the screw thru, or around, the clip. The clip is simply screwed down on the off side, and all of the engagement geometry (with your jeans) is on the other side. I've seen this style of low rider clip in pictures online and I'm wondering if that was a design that you can build? Please feedback.

Question #2: Simply put, can you make a low rider clip for a Spyderco Delica 4 or Spyderco Salt 1 in any way? If yes, what are the available options? I would love to make a purchase! Thank you.

Regards,
Brasstacks

I can for the Delica 4 but the barrel clip design used on the Sal makes it one that I don't offer a pop on version of a low rider. So no on that one.

As for the question of wrapping one. No I don't do them that way and don't figure I'll ever go there.
The Delica 4 is not a problem though. All the info. anyone needs to get one of my clips ordered is found here. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525771

Thanks for your interest.
STR

Thanks for the reply. I looked on your forum for a picture of your low rider clip on the Delica 4 but can't find one. Can you post some pictures if you have them? Thanks.

I really have not done that many. I mean they come in now and then for requests but as far as numbers go they are way down on frequency. However it has picked up and here lately like in the last month I've made as many for the Delica as I have in the last year. I'm not sure why. Unfortunately I've not documented any pics of them because, well all of them with the exception of one were done without having the knife here. Maybe one of the guys buying one recently will post one. For now all I could find was this one and its very old.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5609633&postcount=5

STR

STR, on your order form, you ask for a single selection on tip up or tip down carry. For the Spyderco Delica 4, I assume you make the low rider clip custom for the selected carry option, correct? The reason I assume this is because the geometry of the Delica 4 is different on each end of the knife. If the goal is "nothing showing on your jeans except for the clip", I don't think you could use the same design (on the Delica 4) for tip up or tip down carry. If this is true, I may order two clips... one for tip up carry and one for tip down carry. Please advise. Thanks.

Hi Steve,Brasstacks sorry to butt in, but if you do a Google search FFg Delica & click images there is a great shot of a blue Delica with an STR clip fitted.(Now i can go back to drumming my fingers waiting for my clip to arrive by snail mail).

STR, on your order form, you ask for a single selection on tip up or tip down carry. For the Spyderco Delica 4, I assume you make the low rider clip custom for the selected carry option, correct? The reason I assume this is because the geometry of the Delica 4 is different on each end of the knife. If the goal is "nothing showing on your jeans except for the clip", I don't think you could use the same design (on the Delica 4) for tip up or tip down carry. If this is true, I may order two clips... one for tip up carry and one for tip down carry. Please advise. Thanks.

The fold over point or the geometry as you call it for the 180 degree bend would be different on all knives for tip up or tip down carry. Only on a custom I was making from scratch where I could lay the ground work down from designing it such could it be done to allow the same clip to work for all positions. Additionally I cover this here. http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php?p=632091&postcount=25

When working with factory knives already threaded this is just the way it is and what we have to work with in front of us. Although the low rider clip would mount in either position the only one it will truly fit for is the one it was made for.

STR

Thanks Greenfly, I found the low rider clip picture you referred to on the blue FRN delica 4. That clip is for LEFT hand tip up carry. I'm looking for RIGHT hand tip up carry... but, I think the appearance of the clip would be very similar for right hand tip up carry.

...aside to STR: I'm going to send you my G10 Delica 4 shortly for a brushed Ti low rider clip for right hand tip up carry. I'm so in love with this knife, I may buy another one with an FRN handle. I'm wondering if your low rider clip design will be interchangeable between a G10 Delica 4 and a FRN Delica 4. Please advise. Thank you.

Thanks Greenfly, I found the low rider clip picture you referred to on the blue FRN delica 4. That clip is for LEFT hand tip up carry. I'm looking for RIGHT hand tip up carry... but, I think the appearance of the clip would be very similar for right hand tip up carry.

...aside to STR: I'm going to send you my G10 Delica 4 shortly for a brushed Ti low rider clip for right hand tip up carry. I'm so in love with this knife, I may buy another one with an FRN handle. I'm wondering if your low rider clip design will be interchangeable between a G10 Delica 4 and a FRN Delica 4. Please advise. Thank you.

Funny but I was just telling someone that I don't offer a satin or brushed finish on my stuff. Don't get me wrong I love that finish but my hands cramp up and anything needing hand sanding and finishing is frowned upon here. I can sure walk folks through an easy step by step to do this themselves once it arrives though. Bead blasted or anodized is all I offer.

The clip would swap and fit on the D4 regardless of model and on the Manix 2, Para Military 2 or Endura 4 and I think the Stretch 2 also. I use the same pattern for all of these knives. :thumbup:

I assume you've seen this thread but if not make a point to do the work order form for me and stick that in the box with the knife before mailing. I need a work order for everything that comes here. When I get your folder I'll make one up for it. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525771 Thanks

STR

Last edited:
Back