LPA - 4300-1801 Carbon Fiber CLA

Haven't seen this posted over here yet so:

jDTMMfh.jpg

Vh9TcFF.jpg

To be fair, I think that S30V is a definite upgrade over 154CM. However, playing devil's advocate, given the limited availability of this LE (500 piece run) and the commensurate price tag, I think it's safe to say this is probably geared towards the enthusiast community; unfortunately, many of which have already stated their unfavourable opinion on Benchmade's proliferation of S30V across their lineup, especially in a "special/limited edition."

Unfortunately, autos are a big no go up here in Canada, but the overall package looks nice imo, and I for one don't have a problem with S30V generally speaking.

The CLA is a really sweet EDC.
I have the black and green G10 version and absolutely love it.
This new CF, S30V version sounds like heaven.
Definitely a must have for me.
(Already working on it) :)

The CLA is a really sweet EDC.
I have the black and green G10 version and absolutely love it.
This new CF, S30V version sounds like heaven.
Definitely a must have for me.
(Already working on it) :)

Looking forward to enjoying the knife vicariously through your pics! ;)

Sort of disappointing that they are phasing out the dealer exclusives for this stuff.

Didn't know that.

I don't know that I would say s30v is "tougher" than 154cm either. I've had S30v chip on me but I've never had 154cm chip. Also BM's 154cm is as good as it gets; I really like it.

We'll end up with a bunch of "one to a dealer" limited releases like the M4 Freek a while back that are a pain in the neck to search for and are snapped up immediately by speculators for resale. So this new direction is gonna save me some money (I won't play that game), but I'm not happy about it. Give me a well conceived and executed dealer exclusive like the Grips from DLT and Knifeworks any day.

It was mentioned in this thread here by Jordan at DLT (he was asked about the possibility of a mini version of their dealer exclusive Grip).

I do not understand this at all. It was usually the dealer exclusives that kept me interested. Premium materials at a reasonable price. Dealers had some control over pricing - Knifeworks would put theirs on sale and you could get a great deal on them.

The Mini was in the plans when we had the full size exclusive made. But unfortunately, Benchmade has changed direction on exclusives and has elected to eliminate (at least for the foreseeable future) the dealer exclusives and do more limited editions company wide. As such, there will be no eminent build to of the mini version and when our full sized stock is out we will not have the option to re-run that model.

I do not understand this at all. It was usually the dealer exclusives that kept me interested. Premium materials at a reasonable price. Dealers had some control over pricing - Knifeworks would put theirs on sale and you could get a great deal on them.

To me, I can see some benefits and some detriments towards moving to a standard LE over a dealer exclusive. The main positive effect is that obviously, since the exclusive wouldn't belong to a single dealer, you'd be able to get it from your preferred retailer or local shop in some cases. While not of great consequence to those in the US I'd imagine, I count that as a positive as someone who resides in Canada and imagine it'd make some Benchmade fans overseas in Europe and other parts of the world a little happier to have closer access to some special/limited editions. As well, a positive side effect of the greater diversity in the supply chain as opposed to a single source would be that those who are really looking forward to a particular special edition should have an easier time finding a retailer to get it at or close to MAP. For example, an authorized Canadian Benchmade Premium Plus dealer still has several limited editions/gold class models in-stock that are sold out at many of the large US retailers as of this post.

I do agree with you on the benefits of the dealer exclusives though; the fact that dealers could specify exactly what materials they wanted to go into their dealer exclusive combined with the fact that they could offer sales or other pricing incentives (DLT's rewards/loyalty program for instance) has been attractive to me as well. I feel like it keeps getting brought up, but given the fact that a prominent complaint from seemingly a decent portion of the community is that S30V in a special edition does not make it so, the fact that dealer exclusives have been using steels like M390 and M4 and handle materials like CF and micarta and even just different colours of G10 have added some nice diversity to the rest of Benchmade's lineup.

Given all of this, I'm interested to see how Benchmade decides to move forward from manufacturing dealer exclusives to putting a lot more emphasis on general-release limited editions and special editions.

I like it. The CLA I had was very nice in size, action, and weight. It just felt kinda plain. This one fixes that for sure. I'll bite.

I guess it depends on your local dealer situation, which in my area is -- one -- if you don't count Cabela's. I'd have to see if they would order one for me, and they're a small shop so they're very strategic about when they place the "qualifying" order to be classed a "Premium Plus" dealer. It means that for the last few months, they've had mostly Griptilians and not much else.

As far as this new release, I'm not in one of those states where it's legal.

Benchmade seems to be taking the running joke over their inflated price/value and is now turning it into "let's see what we can get away with."

bike.jpg

Benchmade seems to be taking the running joke over their inflated price/value and is now turning it into "let's see what we can get away with."

Honestly, I always thought your gripes about uneven grinds was a bit overblown. This past week I bought a Para 2 and Military (I sold my original versions awhile back, but re-bought them out of nostalgia). The blades on both are absolutely perfect and both cut like a laser. The blades are so nice that I keep looking at them under the light to see if I can actually find any flaws. I can't. In fact, the the entire knives are perfect. In summary...yeah, I think you have been right.

Honestly, I always thought your gripes about uneven grinds was a bit overblown. This past week I bought a Para 2 and Military (I sold my original versions awhile back, but re-bought them out of nostalgia). The blades on both are absolutely perfect and both cut like a laser. The blades are so nice that I keep looking at them under the light to see if I can actually find any flaws. I can't. In fact, the the entire knives are perfect. In summary...yeah, I think you have been right.

If you've been around long enough you know that Cypress Cypress has contributed here for a while and not just criticism. He uses his knives, still uses Benchmade knives, loves their 154cm, and is an expert sharpener (sharpest knife I've ever owned had his edge on it). He's not just stirring up trouble or blowing things out of proportion. He's dead on with the edges - I've overlooked it in the past but they aren't consistent.

Now with that being said the Proper I got in the mail last week is really good. It was a good sharpening day that day!

Love it!! Mine is scheduled for delivery on wed and I can’t wait. I’ll have #285. I have been looking to buy a 940-1. I just happened across this post today and found a knife by making a bunch of calls to dealers. I didn’t know about this knife until today. I think this CF CLA will be just what the doctor ordered.

I love the CLA! I like this version very much. I hope that I can get one before they are gone!!

Well, I found a place that showed them in stock and ordered one. I hope that their in stock status is correct.

Back