LT Wright Large Northern Hunter initial review and slice test

I recently received a LT Wright Large Northern Hunter in the mail. Here’s my initial review.

It’s an attractive knife. The blade shape is unusual and attractive, and they did an excellent job with the saber grind because it really accentuates the curved blade shape. The scales are nice, dense micarta. They fit my XXL hand quite well, especially with the end of the handle that is thicker and really well rounded.

It’s larger than I expected. There’s an honest 4” of cutting length on the blade. It’s a relatively heavy hunting knife due to the size of the blade and those thick micarta scales. Fit and finish is excellent. No gaps or uneven fit between the scales and the tang. Beautiful matte brown micarta. A nicely machined blade with an excellent, nearly even blade bevel on each side of the blade.

But…when it arrived, the blade was dull. Not even kinda sharp. Dull like a butter knife. So I sharpened it on the KME. The AEB-L steel is great, it’s a fairly hard steel that indeed takes a very keen edge.

I was almost done sharpening it when, for some inexcusable stupid reason (maybe I looked at the cat, I can’t remember), I managed to push my left index finger right into the tip of the blade. The large northern hunter performed perfectly; the thin AEB-L blade cut right into my finger. It cut a very clean, deep channel right into the first joint of my index finger. I also tested the cutting ability of the very tip of the blade by twisting my finger at the end of the cut, which produced a very fine “C” shape cut the end of the cut. Yes folks, the LT Wright has excellent slicing and neat cutting properties, perfect for a hunting knife.

I stood up and immediately howled in indignation, followed by a long string of profanities while blood started streaming down all over my hand. The cut is nice and clean, with an even cut channel right through the flesh of my finger. I managed to stop the bleeding with 3 bandaids and a wrap of electrical tape. The feline didn’t seem concerned at all by the ruckus and simply stared at me in a bored manner while I controlled the bleeding.

In conclusion, LT Wright makes a very nice hunting knife with a very sharp and thin blade. My initial test demonstrates that the Large Northern Hunter is an excellent slicer that excels at slicing meat. I mean it really excels at slicing meat. It’s a nice knife and I think it’ll be great for elk hunting.

Back