Lum - Evolutionary Details

Why is this knife different from all other knives?
wink.gif

I was staring at my new plain edge Spyderco-Lum when I should have been getting some work done, and I noticed a couple of internal details that are different from most other liner lock folders.

1. While all other liner lock knives I've met, that have stop pins, have round stop pins, the stop pin on the Spyderco Lum is mostly round, but flat on the top, fitting into a matching hole so that it cannot rotate. Perhaps a Spyderco engineering person can explain.

2. While all other liner locks I've met lock up on a tangs that has a slanted or radiused back surface, the Spyderco Lum has tight radius milled into the near side of the tang, so that the locking spring contacts the tang on the near side, and cannot wear its way over to the far side. Why didn't somebody think of that before? Or is there a catch? It passed a moderate spinal tap test, by the way.

The most conspicuous difference about it is that blade grind, of course, which sets it apart from the usual "geo-tanto" without going over the edge (in the view of this art critic) like that SOG Vision thing.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Originally posted by James Mattis:
Why is this knife different from all other knives?
wink.gif

The most conspicuous difference about it is that blade grind, of course, which sets it apart from the usual "geo-tanto" without going over the edge (in the view of this art critic) like that SOG Vision thing.

This knife is different from all other knives because it is as beautiful closed as when open.

The tang shoulder winds up perfectly on the knife's handle (no PET!), and the point lies in the line of the butt.

Rest the closed knife on it's back, and see what images it evokes.

This knife IS different from all other knives.

BTW - Technically, that's 4. I think there may be more, though!
wink.gif

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"That which does not kill me just postpones the inevitable."

Another reason the Lum is different - Phillips head screws.

Honestly - is there a reason for this?

The closed knife also looks much "cleaner" from the front side, without the clip and all of the screws and holes.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"That which does not kill me just postpones the inevitable."

Brian - Phillips head screws are used on the Lum because over in Japan, they do not use Torx screws. This is what a Spydie rep told me once when I asked the same thing. And no, they didn't use them to make "voiding the warranty" easier
wink.gif

------------------
Dexter Ewing
AKTI Member # A000005

Back