Lutels

Got my order from Lutels a couple of days ago. The sword exceed MRL in every possible way, although I did notice some slight blemishes on the surface of the blade near the hilt. I can say that these are on par with Del Tin swords. The pieces I purchased are a swept hilt rapier done in brass and two handed sword with wire wrapped grip. Overall I have been very happy with the balance. I cant say whether they are up to live bladeplay yet as I have not yet sparred with them I will let you know how it goes.

------------------
SSgt Christopher Wardlow
USAF Security Forces
425th ABS Izmir Turkey

Thanks very much for posting your experiences, and keep us updated. I probably will get some Lutels soon. How did you pay for the shipment? As far as I know, they don´t accept credit cards. And how long did it take for them to deliver your order?

------------------
"Peace is not without conflict; it is the ability to cope with conflict" - Leo Giron

I emailed Lutel regarding shipping costs to the US, and was advised it would be $30 to my address in Texas.
I have emailed seeking clarification of payment method and will post when received.
Berk

[This message has been edited by Berkley (edited 09-15-2000).]

Okay I beat the hell out of the rapier today and it stood up very well. I can now say that I am very impressed with these pieces. I ordered via regualr mail. It was delivered to my home address in Turkey and it cost $10 in shipping and handeling. I paid in Euro Dollars.

------------------
SSgt Christopher Wardlow
USAF Security Forces
425th ABS Izmir Turkey

Awesome Christopher! This sounds very promising indeed. I was wondering if I can talk you out of some specs? I would like to know some things about:

Do the swords have a distal taper? (taper in the depth of the blade)
What are the weights?
Where is the center of percussion?
Where is the balance point?

Would it be okay if I post your response on some other forums?

Okay let me see if I get this right. The blades taper extends through the hilt. The weight on the two hander was about 4.5 pounds. I thought the rapier was a little heavy. About 2.5 pounds. the balance howeverr was superb. I found the balance point to be about a third of the way up from the hilt. Now i understand that this may sound a little weird, but the balance actually feels quick and at the same time the blade feels very substantial when in use. I did notice that the weight took a little getting used to during practice. once that was overcome the blade came alive and moved just as expected. I hope this helps some. My experience with swords is not what I'd like it to be yet.

------------------
SSgt Christopher Wardlow
USAF Security Forces
425th ABS Izmir Turkey

Hey Chris,

I think that we are talking about two different things perhaps. Did you mean that the tang extends through the hilt? What I meant by distal taper is does the thickness (as opposed to the width) of the blade become less as the you go from the hilt to the tip of the blade? Would it be possible to give me the balance point in inches from the hilt? A really good way to find the exact balance point is to lay the blade across your two fingers (on the flat!) and slowly slide your fingers towards each other. Wherever they meet without the blade falling off is the balance point. To find the center of percussion hold the sword in one hand and smartly hit the hilt below where you are holding it. You can watch the blade and where it does not vibrate is the center of percussion. Give it a try and let me know.

This is very interesting! Is there a fuller on the sword? If so, is it as dark as in the online catalogue pics? I'm thinking about ordering some stuff from Lutel, so I'm real curious.

TIA,
B.

Hey Bjorn!
biggrin.gif
Good to see ya here! I hope you visit once in a while, add a little flavor to this place with your knowledge.

Always happy to hear from familiar names!

Shinryû.

Okay let me try this again. The balance point is about 6 inches above the hilt. Thanks for the tip for laying the blade flat the other way hurts.
biggrin.gif
The rapier does taper a little but on the two hander I didnt really see one. As for the percussion point Istruck the end of the rapier and it appeared to vibrate on up to about 5 inches above the balance point. I tried this several times to see if I was just seeing things. Sice this is the first time that I have tried this could you give me some info on what a good sword should display in these areas?

------------------
SSgt Christopher Wardlow
USAF Security Forces
425th ABS Izmir Turkey

Hey Chris,

Well, I can tell you what my Atrim Merc's stats are and by all accounts Atrim is one of the best in the business when it comes to harmonically balancing a sword properly. On the merc:

Overall length: 40 inches
Blade Length: 31.5 inches
Point of balance: 5 inches from cross
Center of percussion 21 inches from cross

Basically if the center of balance is to far down the blade then the blade will feel blade heavy. It sounds like yours is about right for a longsword. What did you say that that the overall lengths were? The center of percussion should also be about 2/3 of the way down the blade. That way you have one node there (sort of like the sweet spot on a baseball bat) and one node hopefully at the handle so you don't get a lot of vibration beating your hand up when you hit something. You have to remember that the Atrim sword is just about the best when it comes to this kind of thing, some Del Tins are good some are bad. It may be that some Lutels are good and some bad as well. So far from what I am hearing the Lutels sound pretty good. I'm keeping them on my buy list anyhow!

Sorry guys the picture thing is out. The digital cmaera just went for an unscheduled swim in the Med. Sea. I swear if that kid were mine I'd have thrown him after it.
smile.gif

Triton thanks for the info how about info on where to get an Atrim?

------------------
SSgt Christopher Wardlow
USAF Security Forces
425th ABS Izmir Turkey

Sorry for your camera.
A pic would probably look something like this:
14008.jpg
From their site www.lutel.cz
Which one (model no.) have you got, Christopher?

------------------
"Peace is not without conflict; it is the ability to cope with conflict" - Leo Giron
www.messerforum.net - the premier German language knife-related web board

Hey Chris,

If you want to check out Atrim's stuff check out http://www.albionarmorers.com/ Look under the swords section and then by maker look at the Angus Trim link. His stuff looks plain but it performs like a son of a gun! There is a subtle elegance in their simplicity as well. Atrim makes the best performance production pieces on the market in my opinion.

I'm curious what was the model number of the two-handed sword?
I'm just about to buy one of Lutel's bastard swords. I'd get it mainly for solo drills, so cutting ability wouldn't be an issue, just as long as the sword doesn't look too bad and can stand up to practice.

Back