Luxury vs. Performance

You know, like Case knives vs. M.O.D.'s, Zippo's vs. windproof butane lighters, etc. Which one do you prefer? I say it depends on the situation, but I usually end up carrying both.:p

I think it's more a matter of what you can afford for it's indended use. It's like a Timex Triathalon vs a Rolex Submariner. Both tell time, but the Timex is significantly cheaper. On the other end, the Rolex is much more reliable would most likely outlast the Timex. It's the same with knives. I can use either a Gerber E-Z Out or a Chris Reeve Sebenza everday for general cutting tasks like cutting fruits, boxes, letters etc. Both will do the same job, but the Sebenza will hold a better edge and unless lost or stolen, will out last the EZ-Out. I've talked to people who have carried inexpensive knives like a Buck Bucklite, Gerber LST, Victorinox Tinker or Schrade Old Timer for years and have had no complaints. They're not knife nuts, just users and these are the knives that fit their budgets and get the job done for them. If they loose them, it won't hurt the wallet to replace them. As for me, if the quality and workmanship justifies a high price, I have no problem spending it if it is the knife I really want.

Back