LWT (Lum-Walton Tanto) in blackwood *COOP SHOTS ADDED*

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Last winter, my friend and fellow BF member Mike Walton aka Mike157 Mike157 came to visit so that he could make a knife he had designed, inspired by the work of famed maker Bob Lum. You can read about it in the thread he created on it here.

Our original plan was to make one each, but when we discussed the scope of the endeavor, we decided it would be prudent to focus on his, and I'd finish mine later.

This morning I put the final touches on my iteration, based on his profile and in keeping with his intended theme of a sleek, elegant knife with clean lines, austere appointments, and a focus on the details, but with some twists that I hope demonstrate the flexibility of this form.

dsc_4291-X2.jpg

This one, like his, was made with .170” thick Crucible CPM154.

The tang is skeletonized as well as tapered, and the flat ground blade features a full distal taper. The spine has been rounded and mirror polished, and the flats are finished with a smooth satin to offer an understated contrast to the spine.

The rebated scales of African Blackwood have been polished to a mirror shine, and taper slightly in reverse of the tang (meaning that they're slightly thicker at the butt and thin towards the front), but have a delicate bulge in the center to provide for a subtle but improved grip. The scales are affixed with an industrial adhesive and are mechanically fastened with hidden pins.

10-1/2” OAL, 5-1/4” blade

My bride is currently working on a great slip sheath for it, and then it will head on its way to my favorite professional knife photographer so that he can get some REAL shots of the details.

Thanks for looking!

Back