Lynn Griffith Patrolman

A friend of mine loaned me his Lynn Griffith Patrolman a couple of days ago: my initial reaction was --wow, this is a small and thin knife! I expected something a bit larger since it was a tactical knife. This one is a little bit different from a standard bead blasted version: this particular model is partially serrated, and it has a hand rubbed finish on it. From what I was told, with all the options this would run about $295. I had read a lot of good things about Griffith knives and I wanted to be objective about his knives. I will try to described everything as well as I can.

OAL length is 7.5", flat ground stock removal method out of 1/8" ATS-34, medium blue G-10 scales held together with two pins. Two piece Kydex sheath fastened with rivets and it has a lot of holes for a multi carry
system (parallel holes running all along the outer edge of the sides). Retension on the sheath was good, there was a little movement up and down if you held the sheath and jiggled it. The through holes for the MCS system has some burrs left in it. The lanyard hole which has a piece of tubing pressed through the handle, hadn't been deburred so it would have slice/cut up a cord upon use. The handle is skinny, and thickness ranges from 1/4" to 5/16" . I wear large sized gloves not usually filling the finger lengths, but some one with larger hands and longer fingers would find it thin. The serrations are weird, they don't look like it was done with a specific pattern, or spacing --> it looks like he used the tip of a 1/8" dremel bit to do it (I'm not sure, what method he used) http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=90079&a=5955123&p=20821466&Sequence=1
Most makers use a special grinding stone and you can tell it was made that way - just like a production company. The hand finish on the knife I expected to be better because of the amount of hours Lynn had put into it (8 hr. from what I was told) - close to where the scales are you can see where he started the hand finish since its streaky. The cutting edge was centered, but where it comes up to the top of the blade near the start of the scales it doesn't line up. If you run your finger nail along the edge of the grind it has an undercut on one side. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=90079&a=5955123&p=20821464&Sequence=3 http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=90079&a=5955123&p=20821463&Sequence=5

Over all, its ok, but I expect more since I had read a lot about Lynn Griffith's knives here on BF. If it were his first knife it would be a good job. Would I pay $295 for it ? I personally wouldn't. It looks more like a $100 knife at most. I have purchased some very nice fixed blades by Arno Bernard (S. Africa) that were had hand polished ATS-34, giraffe bone scales and water buffalo pouch sheath for $80 each.
biggrin.gif
I have a Ed Schott Camp Knife in cmp3V with a Kydex sheath that cost $100.
smile.gif
My point is I didn't find a lot of bang for the bucks here.

The more I look at a Patrolman, it reminds me of a steak knife.
wink.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

Them there serrations look like the ones on a old old style buck saw....lmao

------------------
Jay
Life is like a box of chocolates,never know what your gona git!

Howdy Ray, just a quick note on the knife rattling in the sheath a bit. Normally the sheaths are formed to the blade. I chose the method he was trying out of forming it to the finger cut out in the handle only. I think the theory is to reduce scratching by the kydex on the blade. I thnk that maybe why the slight rattle is there. The sheaths that are formed to the blade dont seem to have it.

Richard

I keep waiting to see Griffiths knives on Home Shopping Network, seems like the best place for them.

Jake

Isn't there a lot more to making good working serrations than just cutting notches in a blade? The picture doesn't really show how the serrations are made or give an idea of how they would cut.

Well, I've been in the market for a FB sheath knife about the Patrolmans size, however, it seems a bit overpriced, heres a link to his forum, with the price for a patrolman. http://pub5.ezboard.com/flynngriffithknivesforumpatrolman.showMessage?topicID=3.topic
I have decided to go with one of Allen Blades MEUK's. I'll try to post a review after I receive it.

[This message has been edited by yoda4561 (edited 05-08-2000).]

Plain jane, flat ground ATS-34 for almost 300 BUCKS
eek.gif
That is simply mind boggling. Don't think I'd even eat a steak with it either
tongue.gif

JLM

[This message has been edited by Justin Moore (edited 05-08-2000).]

Thanks MadDog,
Nice pictures of a very slipshod work. I'm rarely posting here my criticism trying rather to tip options which I like more or I like less.
But I really doubt that someone can like unequal serration (regardless of it shape usefulness) and rivets with cracked ends. Especially paying near $300 for them.

You can buy SPYDERCO Bill Moran Featherweight, BENCHMADE Nimravus Cub and Fallkniven WM for this money and even save some bucks for beer
wink.gif

------------------
Sergiusz Mitin
gunwriter
Lodz, Poland

Gee...for $300 I could buy TWO Rekat Sifus and still have enough for a Spyderco Moran and maybe a single Genesse. Guess those in the know won't be buying a Lynn Griffith Patrolman.

I not sure comparing the purchase price of a handmade/custom to a production knife is really fair since the latter will generally be cheaper.

Those who purchase a handmade/custom is looking for a "value" that is imparted by the handmade process and the maker involved. Obviously, the care and attention to detail of the maker go into the "value" that one places on the the knife.

For near $300 bucks, it's probably more appropriate to ask whether a Griffith Patrolman "tactical" has a comparable value to similar size and priced "tacticals" produced by, say... J.Hossom, T. Rinaldi, E. Chavar, B. Nealy, K. Murdink, A. Polkowski, or G. Lightfoot.

Those are the names I have on my A list. Guess I won't be changing the course just yet...

sing

AKTI #A000356

[This message has been edited by sing (edited 05-08-2000).]

Sing, your point is well made. I guess I was only comparing it a favorite carry knife and a blade that I am considering. My current philosophy is never to buy what I will never use, never use what I cannot afford to lose, break, or destroy. In any case, I hear that there are quite a few customs that are produced at production prices. I'll be looking around...

Hey, P,

Check out T.Rinaldi's site. His similar sized Chimera is $175. Add $10 bucks for bg42 option.

http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/chimera.htm

There are a lot of knowledgable guys in this forum who are big on Trace.

Heck, while I am at it, if you don't mind the care of high carbon steel, there's a similar profile knife, the US Marshall in Newt Livesay's page:

http://members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/

sing

AKTI #A000356

[This message has been edited by sing (edited 05-08-2000).]

Man, you guys are brutal! FWIW, I have only seen one of Lynn's knives up close and personal. It is actually sort of a variant on his SUB series, and it was made to a Bladeforums member's specs. Essentially it keeps the tiny 2" blade and simply adds a longer handle. I can't remember what he paid for it, but it was a lot. I would take one of Sean Perkins little knives over it anyday, and still have beer money leftover! That said, it was a really nice little knife, and well-made (same for the sheath), but after doing my big fixed blade review of sub-6" OAL knives recently, I saw that knives equally as nice can be had at a fraction of the cost. I agree that Lynn's knives are very overpriced, but he has a rabid following and that's what counts, I guess. As for the comment on the South African guy's knives, when I was at the Badger show this year there was another South African maker selling his stuff, which was GREAT, for dirt-cheap prices, too. We were floored by what he was charging for the quality and materials. Somebody said it has something to do with the exchange rate, but I dunno. They are fun guys to talk to, though.

------------------
My Knife & Sheath Pages:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/frames.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
Sheath Makers Referral Directory
agocs_s@dd.palmer.edu
Madpoet (Mel Sorg, Jr.) Tribute page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/madpoet/main.html

I do agree that there is alot of value in a hand made knife, and they are a different animal than the factory stuff. Now with that said I do exspect a little more workmanship in a $280-$300 handmade knife than the pics of this one show. Yep price counts even in hand made knives for me.

Last time I checked on Lynn's webpage, the Patrolman starts off at $180, I think standard are a bead blast finish, black Micarta scales and a straight edge. So it is not really fair to describe the above blade as "Plain jane, flat ground ATS-34 for almost 300 BUCKS", as the regular version is $100 cheaper. For the extra cost you get a hand rubbed finish, blue G10 scales and a partially serrated blade. possibly other options as well but those are what are obvious.

Concerning the cost - is the extra $100 worth it? Well that is very dependent on who you ask. It certainly would not be worth it to me as I don't care about the looks aspect and I would not want the serrations. A more interesting question would be is the regular Patrolman worth $180? Well the relevant issue here is the available choices for the money and as Chiro commented there are a lot of makers in and below that price range.

Would I chose Lynn? Yes, definately over some of the makers discussed in that price range. Perkins is an obvious example. When I discussed knife performance with him a year or so ago he got really offended and then insulting. If someone can't even talk about the performance of their knives without getting all upset I don't have much confidence in their abilities. I have had the same discussion with Lynn but was much more direct and his responce was the direct opposite. He was open and reasonable even when we were in disagreement.

As for production vs custom, I think the comparison is fair and I don't think there should be much in the way of competition. A high end custom piece should be easily able to outperform a production blade. That assumes you are buying working customs of course and not art pieces. Of course performance is not linear in cost but the advantage should be there.

About the serration issue - they don't look well done to me either. But I don't think that they are common for Lynn to do. Is his fit and finish high in general? Beats me. It was fine on the MNK I have. However what I am 100% confident of is that if the customer had a problem with the serration pattern or anything else that it would have been taken care of. There would have been no excuses - for me that will always be the bottom line and why I will probably pick up a Sub version this cummer of the MNK I am currently carrying.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 05-08-2000).]

Handle=Black Micarta
Blade Length=3 5/8"
Here are the prices as of this morning for Lynn Griffith's Patrolman.
Overall Length=7 3/8"
Black Micarta®(shown)=$180
Golden Micarta®=$190
Burgundy Micarta®=$195
Custom fit Kydex® neck sheath included

Now that seems a little wierd. I have just ordered from a custom maker and this person does not charge any more for different colors of micarta. Is there a difference in cost of micarta if it is colored?

The different types of Micarta have different properties which may effect how difficult it is to work them.

-Cliff

Back