My new favorite Delica of all time
I currently have three but have owned many more Delicas
Love the steel upgrade over vg10

but it's already in my pocket and can't love it enough
The dark blue is perfect and photos don't do it justice

Last edited:

its not really far behind.

kizer's not to bad at vg10 either in comparison to m390

that being said, the delica m390 could range from 59 to 62hrc and 62 would be a huge upgrade.
I’d take M390 over VG10 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday . From “my” personal usage with M390 over VG10 it holds a edge much longer and for some reason I can get a much sharper edge also.

I’d take M390 over VG10 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday . From “my” personal usage with M390 over VG10 it holds a edge much longer and for some reason I can get a much sharper edge also.
I'd like to see your data points to quantify your statement.

Plus most people have the opinion that Vg10 is easier to get hair shaving sharp VS m390. But hey maybe it's different for you.

Vg10 has always been an “easy come easy go” steel for me. Sharpens right up in a jiffy, but loses its edge sharpness after one cut of fibrous material like carpet. The M390 on my PM2 has been nothing short of spectacular in performance. I read that M390 hardness thread and realized that I must have been lucky to have gotten one so good. I can make the same cut through carpet 3 times before it will stop shaving hair. It only takes once for VG10. This has been my experience and YMMV.

Vg10 has always been an “easy come easy go” steel for me. Sharpens right up in a jiffy, but loses its edge sharpness after one cut of fibrous material like carpet. The M390 on my PM2 has been nothing short of spectacular in performance. I read that M390 hardness thread and realized that I must have been lucky to have gotten one so good. I can make the same cut through carpet 3 times before it will stop shaving hair. It only takes once for VG10. This has been my experience and YMMV.
My exact thoughts and experience :thumbsup:
I don’t dislike VG10 but I can go all week with m390 cutting rope , plastic and cardboard and it’s still hair popping sharp. VG10 after one day at work I’d have to hit it with my leather strop block with some green or black to bring it back .

My snazzy blue M390 Delica is my new EDC since I got it. I freakin' love this thing. :thumbsup:

I was tempted to put it up, but I think I'll use the heck out of it and see how it does. Might have to order a backup before they disappear.

M390 weirdly sharpens up really well for how long it’s able to keep it’s edge. I don’t know if I’d say it’s as easy as VG10, but I consider it to be one of my favorite steels to sharpen, and quite possibly my favorite stainless to sharpen. Maybe if I had some AEB-L to try out, that might change though. The effort it takes to bring back the keenness, to how long it’s able to hold it, is a huge margin in my experience.

Just because SOME manufacturers may have used subpar heat treat of M390 on SOME models of knives does not make M390 be an equivalent to VG-10 overnight. Not saying anything bad about VG-10, though.

Yeah lucky or something else is going on there in the quest for the world's hardest knife.

I wish this Delica M390 was in my budget now and I’d a had one yesterday lol. M390 has been nothing short of spectacular from Spyderco also including My Hogue Ritter :thumbsup:
0bFXHoU.jpg

dXzGm0Y.jpg

My snazzy blue M390 Delica is my new EDC since I got it. I freakin' love this thing. :thumbsup:

I was tempted to put it up, but I think I'll use the heck out of it and see how it does. Might have to order a backup before they disappear.
Oh all the C-36 Military models I've owned and used over the years my M390 Military so far has been my best EDC plain edged pocket knife I've ever owned. There are some of the new, upper tier blade steels I haven't gotten to test drive yet but it's going to have to be a real barn burner to replace my M390 Millie

I might just be looking into this M390 Delica myself. Because I wish I had never traded my ZDP-189 Delica.

Oh all the C-36 Military models I've owned and used over the years my M390 Military so far has been my best EDC plain edged pocket knife I've ever owned. There are some of the new, upper tier blade steels I haven't gotten to test drive yet but it's going to have to be a real barn burner to replace my M390 Millie

I might just be looking into this M390 Delica myself. Because I wish I had never traded my ZDP-189 Delica.
I just picked up an Endela on Monday, so the blue Delica moved to the waistband for the time being. Too good to leave at home.

I haven't really been able to use it for much of anything yet, but I'm on the lookout for cutting tasks!

Back