MA Laws on fixed blades

I was wondering what exactly the deal is on fixed blades. There are plenty of "neck knives" on chains etc and small fixed blades on keychains that "clip" into a sheath with 3-4" blades. I have seen some damn nice fixed blades that have overall lengths of maybe 6" with 3-4" blades. What exactly is the rule against or for throwing one in your inner coat pocket? I assume that its illegal, but lets say Im going camping, or I work at a home depot and open boxes all day, or im on my way to a knife shop to show them a piece and see if they have anything similar...

I searched the law database but the wordking is build for lawyers with words like "non locking, dirk, edged" etc which seem to apply to anything from a sharp pencil to a letter opener.

thanks to anyone who can offer any insight. Obviously if im not screwing up to begin with a leo would never even have reason to find it, and in 23 years ive never been searched so the chances are nil of doing something so bad, especially when carrying....but id like to know.

thanks!

Dave

Times have really changed in this old state. Buck 110s used to be a pretty common sight on belts, even in Boston. I can remember when a grinder buddy was turning out 2" skinners hand over fist to meet the demand for small fixed blades that were "bar" friendly in Cambridge. 1971, Kenmore SQ., there was a fellow that regularly walked around with a _large_ bowie on his belt and never got hassled.

That dirk classification is where they would get you. Concealed, I believe it would be a felony. In the field I think you're ok with anything but a double edge, cane sword or auto. Odd but swords are ok to buy and collect.

Going to shows and such, if you carry the knives in a bag or case where they are not in your immediate control, you are probably ok. The same would be true when purchasing, keep it wrapped/boxed and bagged; drive with them in your trunk.

I recently bought a very nice slim handmade drop-point with a kydex sheath that rides very nicely in my front pants pocket but I hesitate to even take it to work. Instead I carry a small scalpel-like folder and a slightly larger folding crowbar. They really do all I need.

Gone are the days of carrying a six inch Bone™ at the small of my back.

Be Good

Back