Machete discussion

+1 Bigfattyt. Frankly, we can do without people who have such a poor attitude as this fellow. Need an open mind to learn, and that kind of rudeness does indeed speak volumes about one's ability to learn. Usually adults have learned how to deal with differences of opinions in a more mature fashion than this, and folks that haven't figured that out on the forums are either children, or else so set in their ways that they'll eventually end up banned or leaving in a dramatic fashion of their own accord after causing havoc. None of us know everything. For my part, I've found FortyTwoBlades to be a fount of useful (and accurate) information about machetes.

Sorry, I started falling asleep during your post. Had to drink some coffee and come back to it. I'm a huge kukri fan. Started with HI and built up a large collection (mostly safe queens). After a weekend in the woods with some buddies, I realized that arm fatigue was setting in. That's when I started researching machetes. I had never looked into any "high-end" machetes, as my dad always kept his in the garage hanging on hooks and I always viewed them as something more akin to a weed-eater than a blade. So my internet research began. I started by buying CS, Tramontina, Imacasa.. ehhhh.. after a few seconds on the belt sander, they performed well and were ridiculously cheap (there's a wholesale website that sells to the public with no minimum order that's still in existence where you can buy such things for ~$5). But.. I wasn't impressed. I like the shortness and maneuverability of the smaller blades, but when it came time to clear heavier branches, they all disappointed. I decided to up the ante a bit and then bought some Ontatios, Ka-Bars, Kershaws, a Valiant Golok, a BRKT Golok, some Condors and then eventually ponied up the money for a SRKW Rucki (which I'm waiting on). They all performed exceptionally well at clearing brush AND getting through tougher growth - but one really stood out.

Honestly, the Valiant Golok does everything I need it to. It's extremely comfortable, razor sharp, holds an edge like nobody's business and is the perfect size to pull double duty as a brush-clearer/chopper. I've been using one since 2006 for some heavy-duty clearing and it hasn't failed me yet. The BRKT is a close second. While I want to like it more since I paid more for it and it's full tang, I honestly can't say that it performs any better, and in fact, after extended usage, starts giving me blisters.

I'm really impressed with the performance of the Condors for their price. They come nicely finished and are usually quite adept at their job. I will never buy another Cold Steel machete again after I had a piece of Latin machete snap off and come flying at my face at about 45 miles an hour. Honestly, the CS machetes are my least favorite. For less $$$, buy an Imacasa or Tramontina and give it some TLC (I like to grind the tip to a point, add a short sharpened top swedge, add a lovely convex grind, sand rust and scratches off of the blade, sand the wood handles even with the tang, and apply linseed oil. It takes all of about 45 minutes to turn a $5 machete into a blade to be reckoned with. I've had friends come over and mistake my various Tramontina experiments for custom blades.

Wow... and I harped on the OP for posting a novel. I'm getting more into higher-end big blades and will also hopefully be picking up a Miller Bros M-22 very soon to compare to my Rucki when it comes in. I doubt anything that I currently own will come close. If those don't do it for me, I think I may just have a custom made for me by someone who specializes in such things.

Just don't make the same mistake I did - bigger isn't always better - especially when it comes to machetes. Find a size that you can swing comfortably for extended periods of time that will accomplish the tasks you need it to.

That being said, I went all mall-ninja a couple of weeks ago and bought a Condor Discord. That is beautiful piece of steel with nice Micarta scales and a nice leather sheath for only $100.

Last edited:
I see that Silky is making machetes. This model is called the "Yoki" and the end looks like a bill hook.

28616618.jpg

I've got a handful (or two) of machetes. The Tramontina was the best right out of the box, though the Marbles and Condor were also functional. The Ontario 22" Heavy Duty was useless as received, but has performed very well once sharpened. The Cold Steel Latin machete was useless out of the box; and not all that much better once sharpened. CS Magnum Kukri - also useless ouf of the box, but a great chopper once it had a working edge. It isn't much good for general use, IMO, but it really shines when there's a bunch of 1-3 inch thick stuff that needs whacking. I've used it for bigger, just for giggles; but, really, once I'm looking at 5-6" diameter trees, I figure that's axe territory. The Imacasa also arrived too dull to use, but I can't say much more because it got used hard with insufficient/poor sharpening & took a good bit of damage before I wandered back into the picture. I haven't fixed it, yet; so I can't really comment on it's performance. I'm forgetting one; but that doesn't matter. The Ontario and Tramontina are tied as my favorites of the bunch; but the Tramontina is probably the best general use machete I've experienced. (The extra heft of the Ontario gives it an edge with the big stuff; but the Tram is better with the lighter stuff)

I see that Silky is making machetes. This model is called the "Yoki" and the end looks like a bill hook.

28616618.jpg

It's awesome. Words can't describe how good the balance on it is--it's very much "alive" in the hand.

FortyTwoBlades / Baryonyx
I stand by my opinion and i don't respect your opinion since you are directly connected to selling Imacasa by the link on your profile. I may be new to sharpening machetes, but i have been sharpening other knives for over 15 yrs so i'm no amateur.

And once more I am reminded why I so seldom post or even read here anymore. Great job Sqyrl...
Does not take a lot to find out that 42 is right in what he says. 15 years sharpening other knives or 10 seconds in google. Guess which works out better here.

Last edited:
OK some people like what i say some don't but what i type is just my opinion as a buyer and not as someone selling a brand or their lacky backing them up.
I have some more opinions on the Condor brand after closer inspection... 4 of the 5 i ordered have brass rivets in the handles... the brush cutlass has no rivetes. These rivets SUCK... they have a sharp edge on one side of the handle and a slight tapping with a hammer... very light tapping.. will push the offending edge to the other side of the handle. Unless you are using a thick leather glove while using, you will have some skin removed from your hand by the rivets. This is the same on all 4 of the Condor i have with brass rivets. The only remedy i can think of is to either drill a small hole in the rivets and use a pin punch to expand them to make a tighter fit and then sand them smooth or remove the original pins and drill/tap/countersink new holes to hold the wood handles in place and possibly glueing the handles also. The Condor were nic blades/sheaths, but i have my doubts and low opinion of the the handles/pins.
crimsonfalcon07... you can suck my immature 55 yr old ass, but you are already sucking 42 's ass.. this is my last post on this site and hope this gets me banned. HA HA have fun yall i'm gone

What is the purpose of having an emotional breakdown over an inanimate object? Why would anyone want to waste the time, energy, and blood pressure over a machete? Buy whatever the heck you like, and stay away from what you don't. Next!

Forty-Two Blades has always given me good advice on a number of issues both on the forum and also by e-mail. He is a stand-up guy and quite knowledgable.

Last edited:
Sounds like the issue with those Condors he was having wasn't with the rivets. Sometimes the wood shrinks a little if their final destination is fairly arid, and if you give the wood a good application of oil (they come pretty "thirsty" from the factory) the wood will re-expand and the rivet heads will go back to flush.

This guy has been sharpening knives for 15 years and he is 55 years old?

That means he started using knives at about age 40.

Either he's totally full of the brown stinky stuff or he is a late bloomer regarding knife maintenance.:rolleyes:

No sense discussing it any further. He got his wish and got banned, and good riddance. At least we got a machete thread out of it.

Forty-Two, anything interesting on the sword-like machete end we should be keeping our eyes peeled for?

Forty-Two, anything interesting on the sword-like machete end we should be keeping our eyes peeled for?

Well, I'll be working on getting the Oberst baselard-inspired hybrid into production fairly soon. I've got one project in line ahead of it, but things will be moving on it sooner rather than later. :)

No sense discussing it any further. He got his wish and got banned, and good riddance. At least we got a machete thread out of it.

Anyone familar with the Genesis made by Windlass? Has a nice leather shoulder sheath, with machete wore on back for bottom pull. I bought one a few months back. Its built like a sherman tank and a little on heavy side but cuts like crazy, I was taking out 4" sappling in one swing with ease. Factory edge was not what I would call sharp, a file, and diamond stone put a good convex edge on it. Its full tang, but grip is not that great suede leather wrap, but its held up well so far. Main reason I wanted it is its sword/machete use and pointed tip type.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2187-genesis-machete.aspx

cold steel makes decent $20 machetes, i chopped a pretty good tree in half with one earlier(abought 18 inches across), took 30 minutes..but my machete has hit some many rocks its barely sharp..
HI makes some sweet kukris that can fill the role of machete..
condor parang is a good choice for most..
traditionalfillipinoweopons com has some blades that can be machetes...
im a fan of the three quarters estwing ax for my vegetation cutting, pretty much unbreakable for $40..

Just picked up a Condor Thunderhead at Knifeworks for sub $30. Its pretty efficient at brush clearing and a better than expected chopper. Handle could probably use some grip tape, but overall, it was a nice find. Still would like a sheath, any suggestions?

Back