Machete: My favorite now, 21"

I've had this 21" for a couple week and Its now my favorite of my machetes. It is light thin (but wide)blade hits hard and cuts easy with little swing effort, Compared to my Imacasa Pata de Cuche and Chumpa styles.... I think the sectional density of its wider width makes it hits like a train....

:Blade Thickness (Above Handle / At Tip) 1.77 mm. / 1.20 mm.

IMG-1644-1.jpg

IMG-1640-1.jpg

Custom made high quality sheath works great and $ cheap
IMG-1645-1.jpg

Machete Trail through High Thick Mustard weed, which is tough stuff to cut.... Pretty good work out while hiking
IMG-1616-1.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it is just the time of year, but I am finding myself really susceptible to posts like this one. Just the other day, I ordered a 20” Collins bolo after seeing one in a post not unlike yours. Several weeks earlier, I popped for a Martindale golok that somebody mentioned in a post. Almost as an afterthought, I added a 16” Imacasa bolo to qualify my order for free shipping.

The Martindale has been a bit of a disappointment so far, but the Bolo has proven wonderfully light and nimble on some of the fresh greenery that is sprouting up all over the place right now. Pretty soon, I will need to make something for it along the lines of your custom sheath.

BTW, a wrap of Gorilla Tape would give that sheath a degree of weatherproofing and make it more presentable in polite company.

for extra worthy handling, get real leather tennis wrap - it's excellent imho, and comes bevelled at the edges for a really nice fit

(I've been hankering for a good machete also, but the more I look for one to buy, the more I end up wanting to make one)

That looks like a very nice machete indeed, especially with such a wide & thin blade.
Trail clearing is also one of my own favorite pastimes, and also a very nice way to learn more about different geometries & steel types, different weights, single & double tapers, as well as edge & handle design.
So much to learn and only so little time, but also very enjoyable and comparatively very cheap.

BTW, a wrap of Gorilla Tape would give that sheath a degree of weatherproofing and make it more presentable in polite company.

I used clear package shipping tape to cover and water proof the whole sheath.... Gives it the shinny see through, cardboard camouflage finish

You can't see it but the yellow handle is slightly modified(deepened where your index finger is), contoured and smoothed of any rough edges

Last edited:
I've had this 21" for a couple week and Its now my favorite of my machetes. It is light thin (but wide)blade hits hard and cuts easy with little swing effort, Compared to my Imacasa Pata de Cuche and Chumpa styles.... I think the sectional density of its wider width makes it hits like a train....

:Blade Thickness (Above Handle / At Tip) 1.77 mm. / 1.20 mm.

IMG-1644-1.jpg

IMG-1640-1.jpg

Custom made high quality sheath works great and $ cheap
IMG-1645-1.jpg

Machete Trail through High Thick Mustard weed, which is tough stuff to cut.... Pretty good work out while hiking
IMG-1616-1.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. I had meant to ask. I enlarged the tang stamp but could make head nor tails. At first I thought it might be a walrus, but now I think it’s an island, probably Caribbean.

Looks like a Hansa 21" Gallo brand. "Gallo" is rooster in Spanish.

Hansa-yellow-21.jpg

cabecera.jpg

https://www.hansa.com.ec/HTML/productos.html

Interesting that they have an Aguila (eagle) brand with a logo very similar to that of Incolma's Gavilan brand. However, Gavilán, is Spanish for the Eurasian sparrowhawk.

logo_gavilan.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of the Latin American makers have some sort of vestigial similar markings. Incolma is the current user of the Corneta branding, for instance, but it was originally used by IMACASA back when they were still owned by Gebr. Weyersberg of Germany.

And Incolma is the result of Weyersberg involvement way back, the name being derived from Colombo German Machetes Industry circa 1960.

I really like the big, broad butter knife shape of this machete.

Last edited:
That one interests me for flexible vegetation. Hope it continues to work well for you.

What brand is it?

Yep , Its is a Hansa ......I like it so much that I just ordered the 24" Aguila too...

Wish I could find out what the difference in Hansa's Premium, and Super Economicos is , if any

This is the #191 style.... I notice different SA companies use the same #s for the different styles. ex:#191 #66, #164, #152. #127 etc

HA-Orange-22-600x600.jpg

Last edited:
JD, that pattern would be an awesome knife for making huge sub sandwiches. Cut the bread, spread the spreads ... Also deadly for slicing watermelons.

Some pattern numbers originated with the Collins company in the USA. Others may have been from Martindale in England.

Some of the patterns are subtly different in profile, and no doubt in the thickness and weight.

JD, that pattern would be an awesome knife for making huge sub sandwiches. Cut the bread, spread the spreads ... Also deadly for slicing watermelons.

:thumbsup::cool:... Yes ,,, I ordered the 24" Aguila especially for my kitchen use...

When it arrives, I plan to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::cool:... Yes ,,, I ordered the 24" Aguila especially for my kitchen use...

When it arrives, I plan to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
That would be interesting to watch. I recall SOG using their machete at SHOT to cut food. I forget what they were serving.... hog I think.

Years ago in Thailand when I was a Peace Corp volunteer in Loei, Thailand we had a flood at my future mom-in-law's house. She had a pig and decided to butcher it (maybe it drowned?) Her ex-hubby was looking for a knife and I happened to have one in my backpack.

I pulled out a 10" or so Hmong hilltribe blade and he laughed. So I shaved all the hair off my entire forearm in one stroke. Done deal.

Kinda like this one...
hmong-knife-s-vietnam-special-forces_1_1a718ed2fe7eec5afdbbdd8837648a19.jpg

That 21" machete would be a good zombie blade. Everyone needs one. The only 20+ inch machete I own is the Condor Viking. May consider getting one of these.

Back