machettes in Mexico?

I want to know if I can bring a 1.5 foot machette into mexico. I don't know the knife laws there, and I can't find information about this.

Thanks,
Brian

How do you plan to transport it? In a car trunk with other tools? Packed with other camping gear? Where are you crossing and where will you be staying? As Mexican customs and police officers grant themselves a lot of lee way in how they handle things, why not buy one when you get there?

In most cities in Mexico you will look just as out of place wearing a machete on your belt as you would in most U.S. cities. And be as likely to be arrested. I would not carry one on my person anywhere. If you're going camping, keep it in your gear until you get there.

Mexico does not have the same legal system as the U.S. People are treated a lot more harshly. Even if you check with all agencies in the areas you will visit and get answers in writing, you can still find yourself sitting in jail. And you will sit there until they get around to you.

Have a nice trip!

I'm camping on a beach halfway down Baja, on the east coast. I'm going spearfishing and don't plan on walking around with it or anything.

It will be transported in the back of my vehicle, or maybe on top on the roof racks with other stuff. I just want to bring it to hack heads off large fish. They're pretty tough to hack off with a smaller knife.

I've done some spearfishing from Bahia Los Angeles through the Mulege/Bay of Conception area, and down past Loreto. I've always carried a couple machetes, knives, and an axe. I've never had any problems but, as noted above, that doesn't mean that you or I won't in the future. In Mexico you take your chances with a lot of things, including law enforcement. As in the US, if you are asked whether you have any "weapons", the answer is "no". Items of cutlery are tools.

One thing to warn your passengers about: When you are stopped at checkpoints and asked whether you have any guns, don't let anyone in the vehicle say "only spearguns." Some friends had a dive partner delayed for a couple hours over that one. Spearguns are better referred to as "fishing equipment" or just "spears".

It's a wonderful part of the world and I hope to spend more time down there. Have fun!

Back