Mad science forge custom backpack machete.

I custom ordered a machete by our friend with the wild Titanium blades Mecha Mecha

Specs are as follows.
12.75 inch blade.
4.75 inch handle.
2 inch max width. (Blade not guard)
BT23 russian TI Alloy
TI pommel and guard.

This was specifically designed to fit in my backpack for mountain biking.
It fits in the bag perfectly and leaves room for water bottles. We tried to keep the most power and efficiency possible with the short blade length. The squarish tip helps with that, and is sharpened.

It came with a functional leather sheath. Tight fitting but pretty easy to remove the machete from. Works perfectly.
IMG_29082020_114248_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_29082020_114307_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_29082020_114325_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_29082020_114413_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

The handle is BEAUTIFUL. And its extremely comfortable. So far in my limited use of it, it seems to mitigate shock very well.

The fit and finish of the blade as a whole is fantastic. This is way more than just a "nice machete" its a beautiful peice of functional art. A tool that I have no doubt will last me the rest of my life.

Performance.
So far its held up great. First use was fun. Trimmed one of my favorite trails here in San Diego. The wood and scrub brush here are much harder than back east. But the machete worked quite well. The tougher branches needed a few extra whacks to get the job done.
------------------------------------------------------------
Second use.
I decided to put my own edge on it. Used my diamond plates (all that I have on hand at the moment). Started with the 50/40 and then finished on the 20/14. I kept the edge pretty thin and shallow on the angle. Probably closer to knife geometry than machete geometry. Finished the edge on 3 compunds, black to break the burr, then white and green to finish.

This alloy gets REALLY sharp after stropping. Really nice to sharpen too. I'm sure if I had standard abrasives it would have been just as easy to get screaming sharp. Shaves easily.

The second use I decided to finish the bottom section of the trail I worked on previously. And a few over hangs on some other trails. The new edge performed awesome. Even with the thin geometry and blasting into harder woods, no damage . Very impressed. The new edge really kicked this machete into a spectacular performer for its size.

This is limited due to only having a 12.75 inch blade. But I knew starting this project. To make up for that you just need extra speed. It really excells in smaller vegetation and grasses. And anything under 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

I'm sure this won't be my last TI blade from him. I've definitely got the Titanium itch now!!! Love this thing!

I will post more reviews as I continue testing and using this.

Very nice, but why titanium instead of steel -- the weight difference would not be significant IMHO?

Reactions: DMG
Very nice, but why titanium instead of steel -- the weight difference would not be significant IMHO?
There is a very significant weight difference. Its extremely light.

As for why TI instead of steel. Why not!!!
Also I can't make myself a machete yet. I'm still in the process of finding a new shop on the west coast. So I figured something from Mecha Mecha would do nicely.

There is a very significant weight difference. Its extremely light.

As for why TI instead of steel. Why not!!!
Also I can't make myself a machete yet. I'm still in the process of finding a new shop on the west coast. So I figured something from Mecha Mecha would do nicely.

Thanks for the review, ShannonSteelLabs! Seems like everyone who gets one of these things immediately gets it way sharper than I do. :mad::p One of those "second sharpening" types of blade, I guess.

Ti alloys do get very sharp, as they typically have very fine grain with no carbide-like structures. At least they should be. It's also really easy to get out of control grain growth with them if you're not careful when making them. In that case, they become brittle and/or easier to break, and also don't want to accept a fine edge. But if the grain size is controlled, they stay extremely tough and resilient, enough to support a nice thin edge, and with good heat treatment and the right alloy, hard enough to hold that edge pretty well.

It should get even better as it gets "seasoned" with use. I'm pleased that you like the handle!

Thanks for the review, ShannonSteelLabs! Seems like everyone who gets one of these things immediately gets it way sharper than I do. :mad::p One of those "second sharpening" types of blade, I guess.

Ti alloys do get very sharp, as they typically have very fine grain with no carbide-like structures. At least they should be. It's also really easy to get out of control grain growth with them if you're not careful when making them. In that case, they become brittle and/or easier to break, and also don't want to accept a fine edge. But if the grain size is controlled, they stay extremely tough and resilient, enough to support a nice thin edge, and with good heat treatment and the right alloy, hard enough to hold that edge pretty well.

It should get even better as it gets "seasoned" with use. I'm pleased that you like the handle!
Thanks man. And no worries on the edge. I typically sharpen everything I get sooner or later.

Loved how sharp it got. And excited to give her another quick test run tonight on tonight's ride.

I thought it was damn sharp when it was sent. Now it's just even more damn sharp.
Yep. The pursuit of sharpeness, alas never ends.

Dude, seriously this thing kicks ass. I love it.

Must get rich, and order that 26 inch blade 2 inch wide, blunt tip, Katana machete monster. (Diabolical laughter)

Yep. The pursuit of sharpeness, alas never ends.

Dude, seriously this thing kicks ass. I love it.

Must get rich, and order that 26 inch blade 2 inch wide, blunt tip, Katana machete monster. (Diabolical laughter)

Glad you like it. I can't be having any unhappy titanium blade people out there. The hope is that these things, these long ti blades, become some of the favorites to use for whoever gets them. I was glad to hear you think the handle is comfortable. Even though it's simple, it really has evolved a lot over time and is supposed to be very easy and comfortable to hold, and to compliment the blade.

Back