"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Hmm..Is there room in this thread for another pruner?

Wostenholm....

100_0779.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0773.jpg

Wellington that is a fantastic Stag Pocket Knife! Here' another from my collection. Although It doesn't have a place of origin in the stampings it certainly must be of British Origin. It's stamped on all 3 blades HART & SONS FINE CUTLERY. Also deeply struck into the face of the master blade is CONGRESS KNIFE. I wonder how old it is?
HART%20%26%20SON%20CNG%20WIT.jpg

Todd, beautiful Pruner there! Lend me it next spring when the apple trees need attention...

Mick, the Sportsman leaves me gobsmacked. The intricacy of the workmanship is humbling to our modern techno times, that stag must have been stalking some huge forest back in the 1850s but his spirit lives on and on.Beautiful.

wellington that nicholson sportsman master blade gives a decent look at crocus polish. my friend mark cruse inherited a ton of knives when his grand dad passed. he had a ton of old bruuckmans. [ last co. to do black [crocus] polish.one was a5 in. sportsman knife all crocus, even the twezzers & toothpick were crocus polished. guess whom bought that knife.

Thanks for the positive comments on the sportsman's guys.

Todd, great to see your fine old Wosty pruner, nice size, obvious quality, cheers !

1fartsmella, another Congress whittler !, not seen those markings before ?. There is a "Hart & Sons V (crown) R" listed in Goin's. Interesting example, thanks for showing.

Dennis, your friend Mark was a lucky guy to inherit such a lot of good stuff, the 5" sports must have looked a picture.

Here's another pruner T. Turner & Co, Cutlers To His Majesty (Sheffield England on rev)

DSC03292-1.jpg
DSC03293-2.jpg

Mick

Hi s-k, great to see your 2 bld jack, thanks for showing.

Here are a couple of pages taken from a 1902 Thos Turner & Co catalogue, I think my knife(shown above) is on one page, s-k's example on the other ? (not sure).
142-1.jpg
144-1.jpg

Mick

Excellent catalogue excerpt Mick. Thanks very much for posting it. It does look like my knife on the very left of pg 144. My pruner blade is somewhat worn though. Cheers.

Amazing knife! :eek::thumbup::cool: (post 38)

'Encore' indeed:D

This thread only gets better. The 'bark' on that pruner looks like an ancient oak-tree:thumbup: Any dimensions Mick please?

s-k the other side of your 2 blader is an interesting buttery colour, akin to grilled fat on a tasty lamb-chop!

Hi willgoy, pleased you like the pruner, it's only a tiddler though I'm afraid measuring 3 1/2" closed, it's the second knife from the top on pg 142 of the TT catalogue pg. Agree, really nice looking stag.

Here's another ropey old knife made by the same firm T. Turner & Co, Sheffield 5" closed rope knife, iron pins, liners and bolsters, copper shackel, guessing 1880s-1900 in date, seen a hard life, the pin has been replaced and the blade been sharpened. Nice stag scales though.
DSC03542.jpg

Mick

Some fantastic knives posted in this thread.

Thanks for starting this thread up Mick, as always, its a pleasure to take a peak at your collection. The Nicholson knife is absolutely stunning. Incredible craftmanship.

Also very fond of the scratted bone handled JR pruner, what a lovely piece of decoration.

Andy

Hi Andy

Great to see you on board, thanks for the compliment on the Nicholson :D.

Agree waynorth's scratted bone handled pruner is a beauty.

Mick

While we're on the subject of hawkbills here's one I've not seen another example of. It's stamped W.G. WHITING 6 MARKET ST. MANCHESTER Probably a retailer & possibly made in Sheffield. It has a folding Ivory budding blade and some nice Stag Handles. It's 4 1/4" closed.
WHITING%20FT.jpg

Fartsmella, that is a nice one!

And I thought S-K's pruner with a pen blade was unusual, first one I have seen. But that Thomas Turner catalog, in addition to several pruners with a pen blade, has a rase with a lambsfoot. Now that would be something to find at a flea market!

It has a folding Ivory budding blade and some nice Stag Handles.

Not into horticultural so I have no clue as to why the budding blade would be ivory and how its used? Fascinating stuff here. Hopefully someone could explain the proper use of the budding blade?

Ken

When bud grafting you cut into a stem diagonally through the bark to the wood, and then insert a small bit of a stem with a bud on it, from the desired plant stock of the same species. the ivory budding blade is used to hold the diagonal cut open while you insert the grafting stem.
an example is an apple tree which has had multiple varieties grafted onto it.
roland

A very attractive pruning/grafting knife 1fartsmella :thumbup:. Almost certainly Sheffield made and sold by the Manchester retailer W G Whiting.

Can't add anything more to Roland's excellent description of how the ivory blade was used.

"Whiting W.G. Cutler, 6 Mrk St (Slater's Manchester...1911 Directory)"

Mick

Last edited:
Back