Magnacut Question - Hardware Rust

Hi all,

From a corrosion resistance standpoint we all know the blade will never rust, but does anyone know if the hardware (stop pin, screws, pivot) are also made in magnacut? Just feel like if I were to use this knife fishing or around salt water all the time, if salt water was to flow into the pivot area or into the crevices around screw heads, they’d eventually rust out defeating the whole purpose. Can anyone confirm what steel is used for the hardware on magnacut models?

Pins and screws are 303 stainless.

I would have loved to see CRK utilize a different, more corrosion resistant steel for the hardware on the Magnacut models for this exact reason. As I could have pressed the models into more extreme environments but I understand why they didnt. When I need the most corrosion resistance, I use my Spyderco Salts (Pacific 2 in LC200N or Native Salt in Magnacut).

I would have loved to see CRK utilize a different, more corrosion resistant steel for the hardware on the Magnacut models for this exact reason. As I could have pressed the models into more extreme environments but I understand why they didnt. When I need the most corrosion resistance, I use my Spyderco Salts (Pacific 2 in LC200N or Native Salt in Magnacut).
Agree completely, they could've used LC200N for the hardware or something that would've made it a true do it all knife. Shame I'll be passing on ordering one, will wait for some new upcoming releases from Spyderco with magnacut.

All mine are s35vn blades but same hardware.

Been absolutely soaked in sweat many long days and sometimes minor orange haze forms by the pivot on the blade... but not really rust. Wipe, grease and go.

When swimming in the ocean and neglected for over a day lots of times, I got some pivot area blade rust that left the faintest mark when removed.

My sweat isn't nice to things either. My corrosive juices and humid heat and the gulf of mexico can't reasonably rust the hardware. I polished some knives with mothers and a dremel. Many years later the finish still glistens.

I don't even worry anymore. Only my blades rusted and only very little when subjected to so much. I have lots of CRK and no longer care if some really get used and show it.

Now I stress about Shiro bearings rusting. I have gotten them sweaty... but NO ocean testing for any bears yet... Shiros take all day pocket hell nicely also!

When swimming in the ocean and neglected for over a day lots of times...
This is surprising to me. I would fully expect most stainless steel to rust in the ocean. I can get rust spots on s35 just from pocket carry during the summer.

This is surprising to me. I would fully expect most stainless steel to rust in the ocean. I can get rust spots on s35 just from pocket carry during the summer.

There is a very wide range of performance across steels we generically call stainless, then it gets more complicated based on geometry. Some stainless does pretty well exposed in salt water, and very poorly when a crevice is created. The exposed blade may not rust, but the pivot area where prices are in close contact can corrode badly.

I don’t think I’ve seen any data on crevice corrosion in MagnaCut, but I haven’t looked since it’s not a service I usually put a folding knife in.

Last edited:
Back