Magnetic Detent?

Has anyone ever tried a magnet as a blade detent in a folder? I've been seeing rare earth magnets that are cylindrical in shape that you could insert like a stop pin. I'm sure it would hold the blade securely, in fact you might have to keep it from touching in order to achieve a smooth release. But it would get rid of that pesky two stage bump of the ball going off the edge of the blade as it rotates in and out. Just a thought, don't really know how well it would work.

Peter,
I've tried it on liner locks and it works, but not as good as a detent ball.
Jody (son) tried it with a double action. It worked but not as good as we felt it should. Earth magnet was inlayed in the blade and the slide button was steel. It kinda fell to the wayside but the idea is still there.
Give it your spin and see what happens:)

I like the idea, did you try 1 magnet in the blade and one as the slide button with reverse attracting polarity for extra grip.

Excuse my ignorance as to the design. I have been playing with some powerfull computer drive motor magents they real have a good grip when you get 2 together. They are only 2.5 mm thick

Peter, if that 2 stage bump bugs you then machine (or dremel) a ramp where the detent arc approaches the tang. I tried it on folder #3 and it worked but I can't be bothered with it anymore :D

It doesn't really bother me Dav, just looking for something different. Good to see you haunting the place after all the shenanigans last week. Hope all is well. :)

Back