Magnum vs Boker subcom?

There have been different versions of the SF and all of them are good.

V1- 420J2 steel blade (don't let the lable fool you. I has very good edge retention). Magnum tang stamp and no markings indicating blade steel.

V2- different from V1 in that it has AUS-8 instead of 420J2 (it's stamped on the tang), and the pocket clip is longer.

The Boker Plus versions are AUS-8. I don't know if they are made in Germany, or Tawian like the first two Magnums. It also has jimmping on the lock release bar.

Any version is going to be good. I honestly don't know if one is better over the other.

The original Subcoms were beadblasted plain edge 420J2(not marked as such), marketed under the Magnum line(a division of Boker knives manufactured in the far east, in this case, Taiwan.) The clip was slightly shorter than the second generation. SS Framelock design, white nylon washers, and a steel lined FRN handle scale.

The second generation had only two modifications. An upgrade to AUS-8, which is clearly marked on the blades, and the clip was lengthened to the dimension it's designer originally intended. Everything else remained the same. This one was also marketed under the Magnum line.

The third genereation was identical to the second, but marketed under the Boker Plus line(an upgrade from Magnum) and was marked as such on the blades. It also adds jimping to the lockbar as well.

The major Subcom variant(which just recently arrived) is identical to the third generation, but has a Desert Tan FRN handle scales, and comes with only a Combo Edge(partially serrated)

There are several other variants in the works as well. A Wharnecliffe Subcom(Wharncom), and Rescue Hook Subcom(Rescom), and several variants on the standard Subcom(all black, as well an another with a Green scale)

There is also a Subcom Fixed Blade(look at my avatar) that should be coming this fall(hopefully)

***edit, Ghostrider beat me to it as I was typing this, I took too long;)***

Scott, I just got my Boker Plus AUS-8 made in Taiwan SubCom F. It has no jimping on the lock release nor does it seem to have a liner on the FRN side.

Whatta great knife! I've been praising it on 2 forums and in email. I figured it was time to check out the Boker forum here and say hello.

I am looking forward to picking up variants all over the place. :D

Esav Benyamin said:
Scott, I just got my Boker Plus AUS-8 made in Taiwan SubCom F. It has no jimping on the lock release nor does it seem to have a liner on the FRN side.

Whatta great knife! I've been praising it on 2 forums and in email. I figured it was time to check out the Boker forum here and say hello.

The liner is very, very thin but you cans ee it in the right light. Mine also does not have the jimping on lock bar.

Esav Benyamin said:

Really? Does it say Boker Plus on the blade? If so, that makes a fourth variant I missed:p Might have to edit my post to reflect that other variant.

The liner is nested, it's visible, but hard to see. Real easy to see if you take the knife apart.

Keep praising the design:thumbup: I agree with you 100%:D

smcfalls13 said:
Really? Does it say Boker Plus on the blade? If so, that makes a fourth variant I missed:p Might have to edit my post to reflect that other variant.

The liner is nested, it's visible, but hard to see. Real easy to see if you take the knife apart.

Keep praising the design:thumbup: I agree with you 100%:D

If he got his from knifecenter like me then no it doesn't say boker plus on it. :) Too many variations floating around.....;)

KnifeCenter it is but it does have Boker + on the blade -- but it came in a Magnum box! :)

Thanks all, now I educated enough :))
My main concern was steel - I need aus8 version, and if it stamped on blade.... fine. I've heard that Subcoms factory grinds are very acute - and 420 steel wont hold the edge.

Lenny_Goofoff said:
Thanks all, now I educated enough :))
My main concern was steel - I need aus8 version, and if it stamped on blade.... fine. I've heard that Subcoms factory grinds are very acute - and 420 steel wont hold the edge.

It holds the edge better than expected on a 2mm flat ground blade, but most of the currently available ones are AUS-8, so you shouldn't have to worry.

They're stamped AUS-8, so you'll know as soon as you open it.

Then what variation is mine?:confused:

Mine says magnum on the blade, not boker anywhere on it. There is no jimping on the lock bar. It came inthe magnum box. Also is Aus-8 steel.

RedEdge77 said:
Then what variation is mine?:confused:

Mine says magnum on the blade, not boker anywhere on it. There is no jimping on the lock bar. It came inthe magnum box. Also is Aus-8 steel.

Your SubCom in AUS8 should be the 2nd version.

The 1st version of the Magnum SubCom was made of 420J2 steel.
The 3rd version is sold under the name Boker Plus.

Esav Benyamin said:

Aloha Esav!!!

GREAT to see YOU here!!! (About time!!!:D )

Yes, your SF does have a steel liner in the scale...ALL of them do. Strange, no jimping on the lockbar yet it has the Boker Plus logo? Cripes, now I am getting lost on the variants!:eek: However:

Andy_CN said:
Your SubCom in AUS8 should be the 2nd version.

The 1st version of the Magnum SubCom was made of 420J2 steel.
The 3rd version is sold under the name Boker Plus.

Andy is absolutely correct. I think you got an "early" 3RD Gen SF, being that it wears the Boker Plus Logo, but no jimping on lockbar...nice score, I don't even have one of those yet!

God bless and thanks everyone!!!

Daywalker, you have given rise to an industry within the industry! :D

Quick note: I took it out for a walk today, up a short nature trail, and did some weed-whacking with it. Strange, slashing at weeds with a knife I can hide in a closed fist. Anyway, VERY sharp, clean cuts, including on some thin woody branches. The finish didn't pick up the usual stains from plant juices, which is nice. It didn't seem to degrade the edge, either, but ... I noticed some burr so I went to work with a ceramic stick and cleaned that up.

This is more and more obviously an ideal small EDC. Variants are good, but in any case, having two or three of these little guys around is a GOOD idea. First, you don't want to misplace one and be out of luck! and second, what happens when family or friend sees one and needs to borrow it permanently?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but seriously, show these around even on the job to your non-knife friends and see if it doesn't convert them.

Esav Benyamin said:
Daywalker, you have given rise to an industry within the industry! :D

Quick note: I took it out for a walk today, up a short nature trail, and did some weed-whacking with it. Strange, slashing at weeds with a knife I can hide in a closed fist. Anyway, VERY sharp, clean cuts, including on some thin woody branches. The finish didn't pick up the usual stains from plant juices, which is nice. It didn't seem to degrade the edge, either, but ... I noticed some burr so I went to work with a ceramic stick and cleaned that up.

This is more and more obviously an ideal small EDC. Variants are good, but in any case, having two or three of these little guys around is a GOOD idea. First, you don't want to misplace one and be out of luck! and second, what happens when family or friend sees one and needs to borrow it permanently?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but seriously, show these around even on the job to your non-knife friends and see if it doesn't convert them.

Aloha Esav,

All I can say is thank you.

God bless and enjoy, but play safely!:eek: ;)

Well I just received a few more SFs today, and both of them have the Boker Plus logo and no jimping. So that makes a fourth variant I never knew about.:thumbup:

It's a good thing these are inexpensive knives, they're like cookies, can't just have one.;)

This may not be a deliberate variant, just a batch that got caught between the new blade and the older handle. Evidently, they moved pretty fast once they realized the knife is a winner, and needed the upgrade from 420J2. Not to mention the strong possiblility by then of true variant blade shapes.

Back