Maintaining mirror polish

How do you maintain a mirror polish on a blade? Will the stainless steel powder I use to polish my pots and pans work or do I need to get a special compound?
Thank you

Flitz or Simichrome are good from what I've heard.

Personally I let my Khukri's naturally develop a patina with use. The marks and discolored areas help tell a story. Use, Wash, Dry and put away is all I do.

If you get some scratches in the blade, Wet/Dry sand paper and some oil helps to get them out. Grit depends on the scratches. After you get the scratches taken care of, use the metal polish to restore the shine. Sometimes I've had to remove rust from blades. They end up with a nice satin finish after cleaning. Never saw the need to restore the mirror finish.

I've used Flitz quite a bit. It's real good removing tarnish and light surface rust. The best thing is that it's fine enough not to disturb the mirror polish on surrounding areas. I try to tape them off, but if you're trying to clean up an irregular area on a blade it's almost impossible to tape around it perfectly.

I agree with Heber that there's no real need to restore a mirror finish; in fact I prefer the satin finish, but it's nice to have the different areas of a blade the same. Flitz will do that.

Back