Maintaining the edge on an alfaknife (convex saber grind).

Discussion in 'Alfa-Knives by Damon Lusky' started by Hotziggety, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Hotziggety

Hotziggety

Aug 21, 2014
    Just wondering what people have been doing to keep the wicked edge on their Alfa knife. I have been doing a little research and it sounds like since the blade comes so sharp all I will need to do is maintain it with a leather strop... Assuming I don't let it get too dull. Does this sound right? Also, any oil that you would recommend I use when cleaning and storing it. Thanks for the help.

2. abrasion

abrasion

Feb 22, 2011
    I always use a strop to maintain all of my knives, convex or not.
    If I ever let the knife get too dull I will use coarser grit compounds and work my way back to a polish.
    If you let your edge get really dull or have some rolling on the edge the sandpaper mouse pad trick, then back to the strop will fix it right up.
    A light stropping after each heavy use with fine compound really helps to rarely have to go to the sandpaper route.

3. damon lusky

damon lusky

Feb 14, 2013
    If your sharpening by hand some sandpaper and a mouse pad will get you there. Followed by leather strop and compound. I use 120 grit to shape the edge and then follow up with 220grit and 400 grit finishing with green compound and a leather strop.

Of course if you edge needs more help id be happy to touch it up for you just pay the shipping :)