Mainz type gladius...

...Question: Does anyone own an Albion Mainz type gladius? Specifically, I'm looking for details on the tang. Does anyone know if it is a wide tang, a la the Albion Fulham type, or merely a rat-tail? Considering ordering one, as the blade proportion on the Rheingonheim is the finest I've seen, and I prefer the Hilt to the Fulham hilt, for a thrusting stroke.

Any response appreciated.

Got a good chuckle looking through the Albion site last night:) Has anyone here seen the movie "Excalibur"? Their lindsay "Discerner" sword is a dead ringer for Arthur's blade in the movie. Coincidence:) ? Seems unlikely.

Even

Over on SwordForums, in the "Fantasy Blades Forum" in a thread that I had started about the Wilkinson Excalibur reproduction, there is a bit about how the director of the movie based his Excalibur version upon the Lindsay Discerner family sword. There is, somewhere on hte Albion site, a long discussion of the history of the Discerner sword.

As to the tang, I would very seriously doubt that Albion would use a "rat tail tang" on any of their pieces that they produce for their own name, but I am not 100% certain of this. If you wish to ask in a place where thate are likely to be folks who have bought one or both of the current Albion Mainz models, try SwordForums' General Forum and their Ancient Weapons Forum. But, please do remember that Albion offered a Mainz Gladius before and then withdrew it from the market for reasons of which I am unaware, as I never heard of anyone being unhappy with one.

....appreciate the responses. The Discerner thing seemed like too much of a coincidence - I was hoping someone would have additional information on it. I wasn't aware the Mainz gladius had been offered previously, and then retracted, some additional research may be required. A rat-tail seemed unlikely to me as well, considering that they state on the Fulham pattern sword specifically that the tang is integral and strong, but small alarm bells went off when I didn't see the same wording on the Mainz types. Thanks again:)

I don't own one but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Albion isn't going to be slipping into rat tail tang shoddiness any time soon. They are trying very hard to build a reputation as one of the premiere production (and custom for that matter) sword producers and turning out inferior products isn't going to get them where they want to be.

As for having a mainz type and then withdrawing it I'm not sure if it happened before or after the removal of the Angus Trim blades from their product line? If it happened before it might just be because they redesigned all their swords around the new Randal Graham blades.

Evan - I can vouch for the sturdiness of the Albion Mainz. It's as solid a piece as the Fulham. Albion turns out a first class product. You won't be disappointed.

.....I feel better now. I didn't really think Albion would mess up there, but wanted to know for sure. I must say that overall their sword line is looking better now, thats for sure:) Better proportions on most of their blades, seems like.

Thanks again.

Even

Back