Major Boo Boo!

Awhile back I read somewhere on the 'net that computer security could be improved if you didn't leave your email address floating around...like in forums. So, being the genius that I am (I know as much about computers as a hog does about Easter Sunday) I deleted my email address from my profile.

Guess what? No email, no log on. Is there any way you can put my email address back into my GlockDoc profile so I can log on?

Thanks,

Bob, AKA VA27 (the member formerly known as GlockDoc)

What??? Making your email address invisible shouldn't cause a login problem ... oh, I see. You didn't make it invisible -- you changed it to 0000@00.com

After you read:

Edit Email Address (Optional)
New Email Address (Hotmail.com not allowed, Verizon.net will not work!!!!!) - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT A WORKING, VALID EMAIL ADDRESS HERE.
AFTER YOU CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS, YOU WILL BE SENT A LINK THAT YOU MUST CLICK TO REACTIVATE YOUR PROFILE. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST USING THAT PROFILE!:

Confirm New Email Address (Hotmail.com not allowed, Verizon will not work) - READ THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS, WE REALLY MEAN IT, PUT A WORKING EMAIL ADDRESS IN HERE OR ELSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PROFILE!!!!!:

you changed your email address to 0000@00.com

Um. If you can suggest a better way we could explain that you shouldn't do that, we're always open to suggestions....

All I can suggest is call Spark on the phone and hope he's in a good mood. Maybe you could offer him, like, money ... or booze, or dancing girls.... The phone number and hours are at the top of the page at www.1sks.com

Cougar Allen said:
What??? Making your email address invisible shouldn't cause a login problem ... oh, I see. You didn't make it invisible -- you changed it to 0000@00.com

After you read:

This all reminds me of the teacher who asked a student to give her a sentence using the word "horticulture". Little Johnny thought it over and said, "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her read."

That's the problem. I didn't read anything (except the faulty info about security some place else), I didn't change it, I erased it. I went into my profile and back-spaced my email addy out of existence. I was hoping that someone would take pity on my stupidity and just put my email address back in my profile.

Thanks again,

Bob (VA27, the Past and hopefully, Future GlockDoc)

It's not just that we're being mean (although of course we are mean.) :mad: It's difficult. Spark has to fix this personally and even if you wanted to post your correct email address here you wouldn't want us to let some dork using the name VA27 who claims he's you pirate your account, would you? You have to call Spark on the phone to establish you're really you and also to tell him what email address you want him to put in there.

I talked to Spark this morning. I guess the dancing girls were too old (although some people like arthritic belly dancers) and the "Dance of the Seven Gimps" wasn't his cup of tea. So, no go. I guess I'm VA27 instead of GlockDoc from now on. GlockDoc is dead...Long live VA27!

Thanks for your help,

GD

-Maker of fine cigar ashes since 1963-

Sorry. The policies are in place for a reason. When we ask for you to confirm your email address, we really really really mean it

The problem is that there are automated programs called "spiders" that "crawl" through the web looking for any text in the form of something@something.com/net/org/etc. These programs then "harvest" these e-mail addresses for spam. If you go to my website, you'll see my e-mail address given as, "chuck at balisongcollector dot com." This is less convenient for people who want to e-mail me since they have to edit it before they can use it. But, it doesn't get harvested. The other way to protect an address from this harvesting is to bury it. The spiders won't follow links deep into a website. This is why it's sort of difficult to get someone's e-mail address here at bf.c even if they do have it visible. You've got to click on multiple links. So, making your e-mail address visible on bf.c is low-risk.

There's a couple Newsletter authors [Steve Bass; Fred Langa; etc] who recommend putting your email in your sig as a graphic...IOW, make a picture with your email address as text *in* the picture, then attach it as your signature...add flowers, dancing Snoopies, or whatever to make it pretty...then the Bots can't harvest it...but we can all see it...

Those of us who can read, that is... :rolleyes:

...$.02... :D

I cn rd whn I hv to, bt mi speln nds wrk!

I only come here for the pictures.

GD

-Maker of fine cigar ashes since 1963-

Back