• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Major Price Reduction=> Buck Vanguard Hunter with Buckcote, 4" dropped point, exc+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buck Vanguard Hunter w/ Buckcote, 4" dropped point:

• $110=>$99=>$89=>$79=>$59=>$55 => $49 :eek: shipped CONUS. This is a great price for a unique Buckcoted knife
  • 4” Drop Point classic hunting blade profile
  • hard durometer rubber handle
  • brass guard and buttcap.
  • The gold colored BuckCote is a Titanium Nitride coating which takes the surface of the blade and edge to greater than Rc=80, above the Rockwell C scale.
  • Same specs as their regular 4" Vanguards (e.g. 420HC), just with the Buckcote.
  • The knife is symmetrically ground, but sharpened on only one side so that the very hard TiNi coating remains at the edge to provide a very hard surface which is purported to be an excellent edge holding approach.
  • The underlying steel is still Buck’s 420HC, a very underrated, quality production steel that gets a reliable heat treat from methodologies set up by Paul Bos while at Buck.
  • I bought this knife back in early 2000’s, and it’s unused, factory edge, near-mint condition, just shows signs of being ~ 8 years old (e.g. patina on brass).
  • I never used this knife.
  • I never saw any comparison tests, but wouldn’t be surprised if it outperformed most of the super steels on the market, especially for it’s intended purpose, as a hunting/game cleaning knife, e.g. for slicing through hide, skinning, etc. Since it’s 420HC at the core at Rc59, at a minimum you get this fine production steel, a very stainless steel, at the core.
  • Only thing you have to do is continue to sharpen it on one side, kinda like an Emerson if you’ve seen their edge profiles. This is easy with a jig (Lansky, etc). I think this is a discontinued model (not certain tho), and the regular uncoated Vanguard goes for about $60.

Buck Vanguard buckcote 1 by rdangerer, on Flickr

Buck Vanguard buckcote 2 by rdangerer, on Flickr

Buck Vanguard buckcote4 by rdangerer, on Flickr

Buck Vanguard buckcote5 by rdangerer, on Flickr

Buck Vanguard buckcote8 by rdangerer, on Flickr

Buck Vanguard buckcote8 by rdangerer, on Flickr

Last edited:
back up for Sunday ... football again WHOO HOO... and some better pics of this near-mint Vanguard... hunting season just around the corner...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back