Maker's Mark "BALD" any info?

I bought a damascus lockback on eBay and the owner could recall NOTHING about the maker. The price was right, $250 so I figured WTF! The knife is a very well made piece with a 2 3/4 damascus blade, pinned interframe lockback. The blade is stamped "BALD". I've never heard of this maker and my search of Knives '02 and '03 don't show any listing. There are some minor flaws in the handle material which appears to be either ebony or horn, possibly G-10, but I doubt it. The knife has a nickle silver "S" shaped bolster and is VERY similar to some of the low-end ($500) Tommy Overyender makes.

My question is does anyone know of a maker by the name of Bald, or have makers ever stamped a blade like this that did not meet up to their standards?

There is an Australian maker by the name of Peter Bald and his knives are marked BALD on the ricasso. He does make lockback collector grade folders. His email address is pbald@ozemail.com.au . Phone number 61 8 8270 3094.

Keith, you amaze me at how much stuff you know. The knife is definitely Peter Balds's. Peter is well known for his S shaped bolsters, the scales are most likely bufalo horn as it is one of his favorite materials. Untill recently Peter was president of the Aussie Guild (6 year stint) and is one of our top and most respected makers. Mark I think you have got youself a pearler of a bargin.

Thanks guys! I really like the Aussie and S. African makers so I guess I really did get a steal!

Back