Maker's marks

One of the reasons that I am working on this is there isn't a registry of Maker's marks for custom knife makers. I hope that one day there will be and that this is the begining. It is my intent to provide the information and marks I have been collecting to the CKCA in hopes that they will provide access to the information through their web site.

Is the CKCA forum down or have the made it available only to paying members? I haven't been able to get in for several days now.

The one thing I think is very important. The database should be made available free to everyone.

The one thing I think is very important. The database should be made available free to everyone.

Mike this is what I have been talking about all along. The CKCA has been very supportive of the idea. I wish the makers were more supportive. They don't mind me taking pictures at a show but many haven't been sending in Marks. I need to find a way to get the information out to them I guess. I have been snatching a few when I get a good one and the collectors have been more than helpful. I plan on picking up as many as I can at the next Blade Show. I picked up a bunch at the last Guild show.

I'd host a gallery style page if it came to cases. Seriously. I'm not in anyone's guild or society yet - don' really think my stuff fits in with most styles. But I'd love to see a current AND historical mark page. I had no less than 3 guys at the last gun show ask me for info on WW2 victory knife maker's marks!!

heres my maker mark, full name is Robert W Betten...not a full time maker at present though but figured it wont hurt to stick in on here.

RBblades.jpg

Is the CKCA forum down or have the made it available only to paying members? I haven't been able to get in for several days now.

Hi Mike, I apologize that I missed your post here. As Harry stated the plan is for the CKCA to include the maker marks to a Knifemaker data base which will be stored on our website which will remain available to everyone much like our current "maker links" page and "shows and events schedule".

Our original forum was down for a couple weeks while we got our new
v-bulletins forum up and running. It's been up for a few weeks now and you can access it through our website just like before. Probably 80% of it's content can be browsed/viewed by anyone however a CKCA membership is required to actually post.

Etching Damascus is always a challenge for me. How about getting me a photo of your mark on a blade when you get the chance. I like to see the mark in its natural environment. :)

Etching Damascus is always a challenge for me. How about getting me a photo of your mark on a blade when you get the chance. I like to see the mark in its natural environment. :)

I have images in Australia of it etched, when infinity finish the new stamp i'll get it onto a blade and send an image through to you. Might get off my ass and finish my new 3 burner propane forge too (been working machining jobs to pay the bills)...

Thanks to every one's effort on this project. It has long been needed. I would also ask the makers not only to show their present mark but any marks they have used through their career. Many have changed theirs over the years and even how they marked their early knives with the old pencil engraver. Not all knifemakers started with a tang stamp or special die.

I'll second that Anthony. Some makers I have already change marks like most people change socks. We need them all.

I got it Toby. Thanks for the submission. Looks like there is a lot going on in that knife and what I can see looks good.

Back