making a ballistic knife

i was wondering if it would be illegal to make a ballistic knife for my self? i know they are illegal to buy, but what about make? would it be like a suppressor where id have to let the local sheriff know what im doing?

North Carolina knife laws
it shall be unlawful for any person, including
law enforcement officers... to possess, offer for sale,
hold for sale, sell, give, loan, deliver, transport,
manufacture or go armed with any spring-loaded projectile
knife, ballistic knife, or any weapon of similar
character...

yes, it would be illegal to do.

damn what about for military? ive read somethings that certain weapons laws are lax or lifted for military members on active duty.

damn what about for military? ive read somethings that certain weapons laws are lax or lifted for military members on active duty.
Not even for military. Because someone is in the military doesnt give them automatic license to have automatic knives or ballistic knives. They must be approved by a direct superior/commanding officer and then can only carried when given the ok to do so by their superiors.

Not even for military. Because someone is in the military doesnt give them automatic license to have automatic knives or ballistic knives. They must be approved by a direct superior/commanding officer and then can only carried when given the ok to do so by their superiors.

Not to mention they must be on-base or on active assignment. Just like if you had a tank or rocket launcher, it cannot be taken home privately when stateside.

You saw it in Call of Duty Black Ops, didn't you? Because right after that game came out, all of a sudden I have all these questions through another service I use about these [bleep]ing ballistic knives. They're junk! I handled a few in the 80s. I could THROW farther than the dang things could shoot, and it didn't even land point first most of the time.

Last edited:
ive seen them before but yes black ops kinda kicked this into action and i am active duty im not guard or reserve...i was just wondering cuz it would be cool to have one thats all

They are a very dangerous novelty item. Sure, they can stick in a target 10 feet away without a sound . . . if it doesn't malfunction. I have seen these knives malfunction before -- sometimes the spring catches inside the tube and it just sproings out at hangs at the end. I've seen them go off unexpectedly -- both when arming it and from just bouncing around in a pocket. Not a very practical knife -- and about as legal as an unregistered machinegun. The novelty wears off quickly.

You saw it in Call of Duty Black Ops, didn't you? Because right after that game came out, all of a sudden I have all these questions though another service I use about these [bleep]ing ballistic knives. They're junk! I handled a few in the 80s. I could THROW father than the dang things could shoot, and it didn't even land point first most of the time.

They also had them on deadliest warrior last season.

I remember back in the 80s when these first starting popping up. There were usually two models I kept seeing. One was a "Russian Special Forces" which was total crap. The other seemed to be well built but it was a pain in the bung trying to get the knife/spring to lock onto the handle. It was quite dangerous just trying to put it together, not to mention the potential to shoot off relatively easily.

Simly put they were probably more dangerous to the user than anybody else, and they served zero sporting purpose. Learn how to do some knife throwing if you want to have a "ballistic" knife.

Keep in mind that throwing knives are illegal in many places also.

Only if it's designed for just throwing. You can technically throw most knives, even a chef's knife or a folding buck (not recommended if you care about it). My goto thrower was my dad's Damascus bowie when I was a youngun.

Not to mention they must be on-base or on active assignment. Just like if you had a tank or rocket launcher, it cannot be taken home privately when stateside.

You saw it in Call of Duty Black Ops, didn't you? Because right after that game came out, all of a sudden I have all these questions through another service I use about these [bleep]ing ballistic knives. They're junk! I handled a few in the 80s. I could THROW farther than the dang things could shoot, and it didn't even land point first most of the time.

I'm so glad you brought this up. It really irks me when people ask about things they see in video games, especially Call of Duty. A friend of mine tells me how badly he wants ___ (name any firearm from the newest CoD installment), and I tell him how a Ruger 10/22 would better suit him. Also, anytime I show him one of my folders, he'll mention ballistic/tactical knife in about a couple sentences:cool:.

I'm so glad you brought this up. It really irks me when people ask about things they see in video games, especially Call of Duty. A friend of mine tells me how badly he wants ___ (name any firearm from the newest CoD installment), and I tell him how a Ruger 10/22 would better suit him. Also, anytime I show him one of my folders, he'll mention ballistic/tactical knife in about a couple sentences:cool:.
Sounds like your friend is a certifiable mall ninja who needs a serious wake-up call. A bolt-action Ruger 77/22 in .22LR, a bolt-action Ruger M77 MK II "Hawkeye" in .308, along with a Remington 870 12-gauge pump will handle just about 99.99% of any shooting situations that one could reasonably imagine. For knives, a lightweight 4" lockblade folder, along with a SAK, should certainly suffice for everyday carry. If he is an outdoorsman, a 4" to 5" straight bladed sheath knife should be ideal. Again, he should be realistic about his choice of firearms and edged weapons. I don't know how old your friend is, but it seems like he has a lot of growing up to do. His way of thinking is what gets people into trouble with LEOs.

i was wondering if it would be illegal to make a ballistic knife for my self? i know they are illegal to buy, but what about make? would it be like a suppressor where id have to let the local sheriff know what im doing?

I thought I answered this question when you called me the other day. There are many items you can make that are illegal to own much less use.

I hope you belive me now that everyone here has said the same thing I told you.

I wouldn't worry about the legality of the thing. They are very easy to make, there are several you YouTube videos showing you how to make one. So if you want one to make and play with in your backyard, get the parts from a local hardware store and fire away! I would never, ever Carey one, as they can go off very easy and they are very clumsy to use as a regular knife. Cool novelty item, but that's it.

7 year old thread necro on an illegal item no matter where you have it.

no- closed

Edit-

Incoming information from Doug Ritter with clarification on what is legal or not.
Long and short, my information in this post is not correct but I am going to keep it as I originally posted it because it shows that nobody is perfect..Even the moderation staff.

Last edited:
Thanks for allowing me to add this info:

Only nine states have made Ballistic Knives illegal: California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. In addition, they may be considered illegal in Washington State as well due to that state's odd switchblade ban statute with its vague definition of a "spring blade knife." Likewise, that phrase is used in Ohio's ban on manufacture and sale of "switchblade, springblade, and gravity knives" (SB 242 has been introduced for 2018 to remove this prohibition on manufacture and sale). There have been no judicial decisions supporting these possible interpretations, however.

While interstate commerce is generally illegal after the 1986 addition of ballistic knives to the Federal Switchblade Act, that doesn't preclude anyone from from producing or selling or possessing in any particular state, that is up to state law. As with the FSA, ballistic knives are also illegal on Native American reservations, territories like Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas, U. S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa and certain maritime situations such as Navy vessels or government-owned aircraft.

See an annotated copy of the FSA at: https://kniferights.org/resources/federal-switchblade-act/

So, to sum it up, in 40 or 41 states there are no prohibitions on possession and carry of Ballistic Knives that don't apply to knives generally.

I didn't read all the Necro pages. But wondering if it should be defined as specifically spring action type. If I understand correctly, there is also a type of "ballistic knife" that has a cartridge fired action. These are categorized under "any other weapon", in firearm statute's, and not under the knife laws.

If I've misunderstood/misstated anything, feel free to correct.

Back