Making a Hanshee

Well, I can stand it no longer. I keep seeing those almost hanshee's that are supposed to be M 43's and have to decided to do a really good wood model of an outright hanshee. I cant afford to have one made for myself at the moment but thought I would go ahead and make a wood model and send it to Uncle for all you guys that can afford it. I have a couple of pics of hanshees but thought I would ask if anyone would like to post some good pics of hanshees that I can use in designing the wood one.

Foxy

PS: Long Live Bura !!

Hi, Fox, I can't post pics, but I'm sure if you search around the forum for "hanshee" you'll find some. John Powell or Berk might be able to post some pics, also.

I'd love to see an H.I. hanshee as a regular item, too. Bura made something similar that forumites called the "Bura Boomerang", but it wasn't exactly a true hanshee. The other problem is that the kamis don't seem to like making khuks with curved handles (like original hanshees) since they're harder to make. Hope the model turns out well, though! :D

Some hanshees, and some tulwar-gripped khukuris - couldn't find a pic of just hanshees.

Sigh - I appear te be experiencing technical difficulties. Will try again later.

Hi,
Does this qualify as hanshee?

20027193566868835133596.jpg

Regards,
Greg

Yes siree bob that qualifies in my book ! Anyway I can get a bigger better quality pic of that ?

Foxy

Thanks for the larger photo ripper. I tried to reply but the email bounced for some reason. Any mesurements on that Khuk ?

Hi,

You're welcome and thanks for the heads up on the email bouncing (seems fine now). I'm sorry I only have that one picture and there are no measurements given.

Regards,
Greg

That khukuri is on display at the Royal Armoury in the UK. Maybe some of our British forumites can go get the specs.

Yes indeed Uncle Knows his Khuks !,, I'm getting ready to go into the Preliminary drawing stages of the HI hanshee. I want this to be a flagship hanshee in design so as to be up there with the kothimoda if possible. I would appreciate any design ideas from the forumites\

Thanks

Foxy

Originally posted by foxjaw
I would appreciate any design ideas from the forumites.

Just my $.02, but... 19" oal, and not too heavy. The dui-chirra on the pictured khuk is nice, but I don't think many hanshees were dui-chirra knives. I'd also recommend a very curved handle with a full rat-tail tang, even though the kamis don't seem to like making those.

Keep with the gradual curve, and the dui or tin chirra are my personal faves. more fullers, more better! Also, the blade at the cho or handle should be smallest in witdth (say, an inch across), and the widest part should be 2-3 times that width. I would guess the length should be no less ythan 18" and no more than 22inches, with a weight in the 2-2.5 pound range. Convex grind should come standard.

My inputs...

Keith
En ferro Veritas

I'm with Matt H. on all points.

That dui chirra is beautiful, but it doesn't strike me as too hanshee-ish.

JP posted some hanshee pics here a couple of months back. Foxjaw - would you like me to find them?

S.

Foxy:

Turns out the pic was actually posted by Berk, but the blades are JPs. How about "D"?

S.

Attachments

• somehanshees.jpg
    somehanshees.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 44
Back