How To Making a knife out of an artillery shell

During one of my trips to the (former) Eastern Front, I found a slice of 'shrapnel' about the size of this one (well, several, as they were/are found in abundance on the battlefields there) but apart from the logistics, it never occurred to me, that I'd bring it home and make a knife.

I would think, that there would be impurities in the materials used - especially late war, as the video touches upon.

Maybe others can chime in.

Interesting video none the less.

Very cool, Bladescout.

In this thread Daado Daado made some rocket shell knives you might like to see:

https://bladeforums.com/threads/rocketeer.1483268/

He makes them from tank turret bearings also.
Interesting link, Mecha - thx.

How cool is that.

In regards to knives out of tank turrets, Böker supposedly made/make 300 layer damascus knives out of the barrels of Leopard tanks.

Some of the patterns are gorgeous.

For those interested, google 'boker leopard damascus.'

They look good but personally Id get a kick out of a knife made from a WWII vintage shell.

Thanks guys :)

I like to forge knives from material with some background story. I think it gives some "extra cool points" to a blade.

I actually have two bars of Damascus from Gaston Glock company made with metal from the Leopard III tank barrels. Still trying to get an answer on what the HT procedure will be from the maker. Bought them at last years Blade show.

Interesting link, Mecha - thx.

How cool is that.

In regards to knives out of tank turrets, Böker supposedly made/make 300 layer damascus knives out of the barrels of Leopard tanks.

Some of the patterns are gorgeous.

For those interested, google 'boker leopard damascus.'

They look good but personally Id get a kick out of a knife made from a WWII vintage shell.

Back