Making a San Mai Tanto - Chapter #3: The Tsuba (25 pictures here)

Making a San Mai Tanto - Chapter #3: The Tsuba

Here's the previous installment:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351281

Piece of flat copper stock to make the tsuba.

tutorialW1tsuba1_big.jpg

Placing the piece of copper on the oven til it gets hot, making it easier to punch (about 850C)

tutorialW1tsuba2_big.jpg

Taking it off the oven and placing it on the anvil to punch a hole on it with a piece of steel mimicking the shape on the tang.

tutorialW1tsuba3_big.jpg

Hammering the hole on the copper.

tutorialW1tsuba4_big.jpg

tutorialW1tsuba5_big.jpg

tutorialW1tsuba6_big.jpg

Ending the hole punching process.

tutorialW1tsuba7_big.jpg

tutorialW1tsuba8_big.jpg

Fine adjustment of the hole shape with a small file. This piece won't be glued or welded to the blade in any way, so it has to have an exact fit.

tutorialW1tsuba9_big.jpg

Marking the desired shape and cutting the rectangular piece of copper.

tutorialW1tsuba10_big.jpg

tutorialW1tsuba11_big.jpg

Using the bench band grinder to take the rectangular piece of copper to the proper oval tsuba shape.

tutorialW1tsuba12_big.jpg

Copper tsuba ready to be enameled.

tutorialW1tsuba13_big.jpg

Splashing the copper piece with an aerograph with destiled water so it retains the powdered enamel.

tutorialW1tsuba14_big.jpg

Placing red powdered enamel on a regular coffee strainer.

tutorialW1tsuba15_big.jpg

Powdering the red enamel on the copper piece, sifting it through the strainer.

tutorialW1tsuba16_big.jpg

Splashing the enameled copper piece with an aerograph with destiled water one more time, so it retains the new layer of powdered enamel.

tutorialW1tsuba17_big.jpg

Powdering yellow enamel on the copper piece, again sifting it through the strainer.

tutorialW1tsuba18_big.jpg

Powdering translucid white enamel on the copper piece (I had to use the aerograph with destiled water one more time, just like described above).

tutorialW1tsuba19_big.jpg

Placing the powdered tsuba on an electric over at 900C until the powder enamel aquires a liquid and shiny consistency. I use that inverted U shape piece to insert and retrieve the piece from the oven easily, with just a steel bar. I use a screw to hold the piece in the air because I need both sides of the copper to be enameled properly.

tutorialW1tsuba20_big.jpg

tutorialW1tsuba21_big.jpg

Tsuba just taken out of the oven. Proper colors will be achieved once cold.

tutorialW1tsuba22_big.jpg

Carefully grinding the borders of the almost finished piece to get rid of displaced enamel and temperature oxidation spots.

tutorialW1tsuba23_big.jpg

Finished tsuba.

tutorialW1tsuba24_big.jpg

tutorialW1tsuba25_big.jpg

Regards,

Ariel

Nathan,

Not spoken for :)

A client of mine has "first right of refusal" on this, but drop me an email if you're interested on the final piece.

I'll make the handle in orange and black micarta and the sheath in wood, in the "traditional" Japanese style.

Ariel

Ariel,

I'm definately interested. Check your email. The address I'm using is nathan.burgess@gmail.com.

Thanks, and keep up the good work. If this knife gets sold before I can make a bid, I'll definately be contacting you about some custom work.

--nathan

Back