Making a San Mai Tanto - Chapter #5: The Multi Color Micarta Handle (18 pictures)

Making a San Mai Tanto - Chapter #5: The Multi Color Micarta Handle

Here's the previous installment:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358677

Making the micarta with 25 6"x 6" clothings in red, black and orange. I apply resin every two layers.

tutorialW1handle1_big.jpg

Using my new hydraulic press I press the clothings. I use an oiled polietilene film to prevent glueing against the press.
For this micarta, I also added a piece of metal from a windows cover at the bottom to make designs on the finished micarta (this piece of metal was wrapped in film also)

tutorialW1handle2_big.jpg

Here's how the micarta looks when taken out of the press.

tutorialW1handle3_big.jpg

Thanks to the added metal piece, this is how it looks flat (after grinding and polising it)

tutorialW1handle4_big.jpg

tutorialW1handle5_big.jpg

I got creative cutting and pasting files on the computer so I've lost some pictures, but the process in which I create the handle is exactly the same as the one I used for the two halves for the sheath, shown on the previous installment.

The two micarta halves are milled exactly to the shape of the tang and then glued together with some epoxy resin

Once I have the roughly shaped and glued piece, I grind it and sand it by hand to the exact shape I desire.

tutorialW1handle6_big.jpg

All the pieces (but one) ready to be ensambled.

tutorialW1handle7_big.jpg

tutorialW1handle8_big.jpg

Beggining of the ensamble.

tutorialW1handle9_big.jpg

Making a double inverted conic shape on a 5mm diameter delrin cylinder with a sandpaper and a drilling machine. The desired center diameter is 4.5mm

tutorialW1handle10_big.jpg

Mekugi ready to be placed in position (with some extra material on one end, so I can hammer it in)

tutorialW1handle11_big.jpg

Positioning the mekugi in place.

tutorialW1handle12_big.jpg

Hammering it.

tutorialW1handle13_big.jpg

Almost finished.

tutorialW1handle14_big.jpg

Finished handle.

tutorialW1handle15_big.jpg

tutorialW1handle16_big.jpg

tutorialW1handle17_big.jpg

tutorialW1handle18_big.jpg

Finished knife.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358201

Thanks for looking,

Ariel

All I can say besides wow is , thanks for the way you present your makings , it truly gives noobs like me clear insight :)
Great job man.

Back